Rejected 5.1.1 Legal: Privacy - Data Collection and Storage

I received this notice when I submitted my app to the App Store:

Guideline 5.1.1 - Legal - Privacy - Data Collection and Storage

The app requires users to register or log in to access features that are not account-based.Apps may not require users to enter personal information to function, except when directly relevant to the core functionality of the app or required by law. For example, an e-commerce app should let users browse store offerings and other features that are not account-based before being asked to register, or a restaurant app should allow users to explore the menu before placing an order. Registration must then only be required for account-specific features, such as saving items for future reference or placing an order.

My app is not e-commerce and does not sell anything. We have partnered with my local university to build an app for their students. It requires a login to use the app because the user must be a student or staff member.

The app is a discount app for local businesses. The university wanted to give back to its students, so they partnered with many businesses in our area to provide special discounts.

Inside the app, the user only needs to log in to view all of the discounts. There are no special codes or additional actions required; the discounts are just visible.

We currently have an older version of this app (which was open to everyone) on the App Store. It was approved 2 months ago with no issues, and users still have to log in to that version. The university wanted to create two separate apps: one for students and one for everyone else. We plan to release the second app soon, but for now, we are trying to get the student version out before school starts in a couple of weeks.

How can I address this issue or get around it? The entire functionality of the app requires users to log in, but the reviewer does not seem to understand this.

Answered by TCGDev in 798075022

After back a back and forth with Apple, I guess they finally understood and the app was approved.

After back a back and forth with Apple, I guess they finally understood and the app was approved.

Rejected 5.1.1 Legal: Privacy - Data Collection and Storage

Q