Undefined symbol: _c2i_ASN1_INTEGER when building my projec for iOS 18

Note that I am trying to build my project for IOS 18 using XCode version 16 Beta 6. I have version 18.0 of the iOS beta installed on my iPhone.

My project includes pods for Firebase and GRPC-Core. I ran pod update and it installed Firebase (11.1.0), BoringSSL-GRPC 0.0.36, OpenSSL-Universal 3.3.1000, and gRPC-Core 1.65.5.

When I try to build my project I encounter the following error: Undefined symbol: _c2i_ASN1_INTEGER

This symbol is not referenced in my code. It's unclear which pod references this symbol - although Firebase is a likely candidate. Is anyone else encountering this issue? I'm wondering if I could safely go back to a version of Firebase that does, as the previous version I had installed (10.22.0) didn't have this issue.

Answered by navigator2 in 802611022

I found the issue! It was actually in my code - although it wasn't obvious from the error message. I was using c2i_ASN1-INTEGER for receipt validation. The reason why I didn't find it was that I included the underscore in my search string, whereas the method is c2i_ASN1-INTEGER in my code. Anyway, I substituted it with the d2i_ASN1-INTEGER and that fixed the problem.

Accepted Answer

I found the issue! It was actually in my code - although it wasn't obvious from the error message. I was using c2i_ASN1-INTEGER for receipt validation. The reason why I didn't find it was that I included the underscore in my search string, whereas the method is c2i_ASN1-INTEGER in my code. Anyway, I substituted it with the d2i_ASN1-INTEGER and that fixed the problem.

Ah, yeah, that leading underscore confuses a lot of folks, to the point where I call it out in An Apple Library Primer.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Undefined symbol: _c2i_ASN1_INTEGER when building my projec for iOS 18

Q