Unable to Notarize

I have been trying to notarize an app since yesterday tried about 20 times at various times of the day.

Most times it stops during the upload and produces an error message

"Couldn't communicate with a helper application" which occurs at various places while downloading.

Three times the upload appeared to complete but then produced an error "This operation could not be completed (SotoS3.S3ErrorType.Multipart.error.1

I then looked in the status log which had several entries:

Prepared archive for uploading (green check to left) Upload failed (red x to left) Notary error (red x to left) The operation couldn't be completed (SotoS3.S3ErrorType...) In Progress (grey timer icon to left)

Answered by eCarlTom in 799275022

I believe I understand what happened here, after the export I opened the export and the attempted to notarize just the .app which notary tool refused to do so I placed it in a .zip which it then notarized. I was going to retry that today, however since it was early morning I decided to give one more try to letting Xcode notarize and it worked first thing this morning (after 30-40 unsuccessful attempts over the past week) so as of this point the issue is resolved. I'd strongly request that before Xcode 16 is released that Apple take a long look at the notarization process and make the upload more forgiving. When NotaryTool runs it shows the percent completion of the upload whereas Xcode just errors if it encounters a problem. As in. the car of other internet file transmissions, Xcode should be more serious about retrying as it gives up too soon meaning the entire file must be re-transmitted. The notarization process should also give meaningful error message such as "Could not upload entire file" or "Entire file successfully uploaded but could not notarize due to the following problem with uploaded file .....

"Couldn't communicate with a helper application" …

I’ve seen these symptoms before. See this post, and also this follow up from another developer.

SotoS3.S3ErrorType.Multipart.error.1

I’ve seen this error in a different context as well. See this thread.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I have tried a few things and am now awaiting status of attempting notarization using notary tool. After several attempts I was able to get a complete upload of a 559 MB app. A couple of things I have found:

1. I tried notarizing another app which is only about 200MB and it worked first time.

2. When I used notary tool, the first time it failed at about 50% but the second time it completed. This seems consistent with the problem encountered when doing it from Xcode. It appears that your server does not have adequate capacity for notarizations and also is unforgiving of uploads only retrying once in the event of a bad transmission. Most uploads/downloads will retry more so that a complete retransmission is not necessary. While I am awaiting to see if the successful upload results in a notarized application. I'd like to confirm I completed all necessary steps:

3. Exported app from the Xcode oragnizer

4. created an application specific password

5. Created a credential in mu keychain for the notarization command

6. Compressed the exported .app into a .zip

7. submitted the .zip using notarytool

If Apple is going to require notarization, the process needs to be much more forgiving, reliable and supported by adequate server capacity

Hi - I checked the status of my app using notarytool, downloaded the log and it indicated Ready for Distribution.

I am unclear on the next steps. I have the .zip file I submitted for notarization. When I used the Xcode organizer it would then have me export a notarized file. What do I need to do to the submitted .zip file in order to complete the notarization. Also notary tool would not let me submit the .app file, only the .zip file?

Accepted Answer

I believe I understand what happened here, after the export I opened the export and the attempted to notarize just the .app which notary tool refused to do so I placed it in a .zip which it then notarized. I was going to retry that today, however since it was early morning I decided to give one more try to letting Xcode notarize and it worked first thing this morning (after 30-40 unsuccessful attempts over the past week) so as of this point the issue is resolved. I'd strongly request that before Xcode 16 is released that Apple take a long look at the notarization process and make the upload more forgiving. When NotaryTool runs it shows the percent completion of the upload whereas Xcode just errors if it encounters a problem. As in. the car of other internet file transmissions, Xcode should be more serious about retrying as it gives up too soon meaning the entire file must be re-transmitted. The notarization process should also give meaningful error message such as "Could not upload entire file" or "Entire file successfully uploaded but could not notarize due to the following problem with uploaded file .....

Unable to Notarize

Q