[Apple Watch] Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error

Hi. I am pairing my Apple Watch Series 5 to my iPhone running ios 14. The pairing is successful but unable to proceed with the set up because an update is needed to be downloaded first. I updated the os for watch but I keep on getting “Unable to Check for Update - Checking for a software update failed because you are not connected to the internet”. I am definitely connected to the internet.

Watch was reset to factory defaults and I am now pairing it as a new device but it fails due to the issue mentioned above.
Answered by heisenbert in 633607022
Hard resetting iPhone fixed this issue.

Steps are:
  1. Press Volume Up and let go.

2. Press Volume Down and let go.

3. Press and hold the side button.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone

I tried every potential solution listed here and none of them worked for me. Just as I was about to give up once and for all, I had a thought - “maybe the damage to my screen is introducing an error into the automatic pairing scan process.” So, I decided to try an manual pairing instead of using the automated pairing. Success!!! To perform a manual pair, just keep tapping the “i” on the watch screen and it will guide you. When you’re ready, you will also need to select “manual pairing” on your phone. Good luck!

The ONLY way to fix that issue is doing a repair request with Apple and having them fix and or replace your watch ! NOTHING else works ! Trust me I tried everything on this forum and the repair request saved me .

For anyone still having issues with updating their watch, I combined a few solutions I got from this forum and it worked for me and thought I might share. I was about ready to throw my watch away until I finally figured it out. First, I turned off cellular data and just kept my wifi on. Then, I made sure to hard reset my apple watch (hold down crown and power button then once you see apple logo, hold just the power button for 30 sec until you see red bar to erase all settings, then press that.) Then, I just deleted the watch app and redownloaded it. Just for a fresh start lol. Then, I attempted to pair my watch to my phone, but prior to actually pairing, I changed the language to Portuguese and location to Canada by pressing the “i” icon on the watch in lower right corner. Then, I finally paired and it actually worked. I pressed “update now” and it began to update. Not sure why this has to be so difficult to figure out. But there is a way, don’t give up! Fix it Apple!

What heisenbert posted 11 months ago worked for me but I added one little extra thing.
Hard resetting iPhone. 

Steps are: Press Volume Up and let go. Press Volume Down and let go. Press and hold the side button, this will hard reset your phone. After your phone has turned back on, remove the watch app on your phone- re-install it. Factory reset your watch and pair. It worked for me.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone

After more than an hour of trouble shooting this piece of garbage software, all it seemed to end up being was resetting the network settings and the update is now slowly downloading (iPhone 8 latest update and S3 watch). Hopefully the watch, after being completely reset at least 3 times - I lost count - will have enough storage space to update, which hasn't been the case for months

So I sent my series 5 44mm watch to Apple for a screen repair. It came back to me with this issue. I went through 11 pages of recommended fixes. Nothing. I reached out to Apple support they sent me to store. I dealt with awesome people thank goodness. Bc I was so frustrated. it is a software issue. Something about it getting reset and not properly recovering. The guy I dealt with at the store hadn’t seen this issue before. Mine was covered at no cost (I don’t know if it’s limited to newer watches for sure , bc mine is newer. ) & I just received an update … it looks like they’re sending me a replacement device all together. I would definitely recommend getting it checked out by an Apple store (some Best Buy’s can look too!) theyll look at it free. Just set an appointment.

I tried literally everything here and nothing worked. What ended up solving it for me was turning cellular data on my phone off. Once I did that it worked fine.

Came here to say what worked! After nearly throwing my phone and my watch out the window, I found a fix in the answers here and wanted to restate it just in case someone else got as mad as I did. Simply uninstalling the Apple Watch app and redownloading it from the App Store fixed the issue. I tried everything else I found on all the other forums and this was all I needed to do. Good luck!

It appears that the best solutions for getting your Apple Watch Update (and avoiding the "cannot connect to internet issue " is:

• 1. Confirmed working for me - Reset your watch and set language to Portuguese and country to Afghanistan. When you press update watch in the app it should actually work.
  • 2. Alternative 1: Switch your wifi from 5ghz to 2.4ghz, saw several posts confirming this workaround
  • 3. Alternative 2: Try when Iphone is in Low Battery mode

Hello,

to anyone still searching for answers I’ve been at this for months but recently today for hours I’ve even been on the phone with apple’s technician. I’m due for a call back in 15 minutes they asked me to try & connect my watch to another phone, however my other phone was locked after attempting to unlock it from iTunes so I could connect my watch to the other phone. I ended up needing to use find my iPhone. I actually still had my old device in my find my iPhone app. So I went to forget that device & it instantly let me pair my watch with my current phone. I highly suggest that. When you erase that device from your find my iPhone app it actually drops everything you ever had paired to the device & that was what causing me from not being able to pair & my internet to “connect” for the update!

hope this helps

I tried all these but this is the solution for me:

You need to make sure you are connected to a 2.4Ghz wifi for it to work. If you are not sure how to set that up with your router, one work around is to create a mobile hotspot with you desktop or laptop. For windows, you can change the settings to only broadcast the hotspot as a 2.4Ghz signal. THEN, you can update your device to pair it.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever seen from Apple. I've tried everything mentioned here multiple times before booking an appointment at the Apple Store. The gentleman at Apple was familiar with the issue but tried to say it was a hardware issue on my watch and it would cost $207 to replace the device.

How can someone say that they believe this is a hardware issue? Figure it out Apple.

i am very frustrated with these products! I have tried everything here in this forum and still cant get it to update..the watch is still quite new i was using it with iphone x before now i want to pair it with my new iphone 12 pro max yet this!…now i cant even pair it back to may old iphone..does apple even know about this?

The Apple support helped me on that issue: go to Settings > General > Reset > "Reset Network Settings". This will restart your iPhone and you will have to re-connect to your wifi and re-enter the wifi password. After that, you can pair your iWatch and perform the mandatory software update. This worked for me (iPhone 8 / iWatch 3 GPS) :-)

I've tried all the solutions on here and they didn't work. Here's what I did that finally worked for me. My watch was unpaired to begin with so I can only speak on what helped me to pair it again. 

1. Hard Reset BOTH iPhone and Apple Watch
  2. Remove Apple Watch from your iCloud (Settings --> Your Name/Apple ID)

3.Update your iPhone if it needs to be. 

After Updating my iPhone and going through the pair steps, I no longer received the error message.  Hope this works for you! (iPhone 12 Plus iOS 14.4 ---> 14.8) Apple Watch Series 4 Updated to 7.6.2)

[Apple Watch] Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error

Q