Non-XCode crash logging for iOS?

I test my app, by building it and hoping it will go on my iOS. This is the only workflow I have to test my testing app.

I use AVAudioEngine and AVAudioSession. It sounds painful but, yes. I literally comment out parts and build the app everytime and see if it would crash or not.

Sometimes I'd get Crash Logs in the Analytics part, but I haven't managed to get them there anymore. So I had no more Crash Logs.

I was wondering if there's a function or something. Maybe something that I can do in AppDelegate to make it create a Crash Log somewhere?

Uncaught Exception overwrite, didn't solve the issue for me. It really has to be an actual crash log, something that catches these.

If someone knows, let me know! Thanks

Answered by DTS Engineer in 806579022

If your app crashes when no debugger is attached then the system will create a crash report. You can get these crash reports as non-developers do; see Acquiring crash reports and diagnostic logs.

These are likely to be JSON crash reports. You can preview them in Finder to see the human readable form.

It’s also likely that you’ll need to symbolicate them; see Adding identifiable symbol names to a crash report.

This stuff is a lot easier if you use Xcode. Indeed, that’s the only supported way to develop for iOS.

something that catches these.

Don’t try to write your own crash reporter; that’s a ridiculously hard taks that can only yield problematic results. I talk about this in detail in Implementing Your Own Crash Reporter.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

If your app crashes when no debugger is attached then the system will create a crash report. You can get these crash reports as non-developers do; see Acquiring crash reports and diagnostic logs.

These are likely to be JSON crash reports. You can preview them in Finder to see the human readable form.

It’s also likely that you’ll need to symbolicate them; see Adding identifiable symbol names to a crash report.

This stuff is a lot easier if you use Xcode. Indeed, that’s the only supported way to develop for iOS.

something that catches these.

Don’t try to write your own crash reporter; that’s a ridiculously hard taks that can only yield problematic results. I talk about this in detail in Implementing Your Own Crash Reporter.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Non-XCode crash logging for iOS?

Q