In-app purchases and referrals

Can you have a referral system in your app, where each user is assigned a code. And when another user uses the code, they get a reward from it?

I don't have subscriptions in my app, and I only have in app purchases where a user can buy 1, 3 or 5 scans which are all consumable.

So when another user uses someone else's code, I keep track of it and when there is 2 uses of that code, the user can get a free scan.

I got feedback from Apple saying:

Guideline 3.1.1 - Business - Payments - In-App Purchase

The app unlocks or enables additional functionality with mechanisms other than in-app purchase, which is not appropriate.

Specifically, the app uses Referral codes to unlock or enable Face scans.

Next Steps

It would be appropriate to remove these features from the app and any other feature that unlocks or enables functionality with mechanisms other than the App Store.

Is there a way to make this work while adhering to the guidelines?

Do I need to have it as a in-app currency? And that would be allowed?

Thank you for your post. We believe this request has been resolved.

If you still have questions about the guideline, we recommend that you sign up for a session with App Review during the weekly Meet with Apple Experts event. Sign in with your Developer ID and select "Request a one-on-one App Review consultation". A member of the App Review team will help you with your questions regarding the review process and the App Review Guidelines.

In-app purchases and referrals

Q