FCP Workflow extension does not build with clang unknown argument -e_ProExtensionMain in Xcode 16

With Xcode 16 I cant make the Final Cut Extension Workflow work. I am quite sure I was able to add the Workflow Extension target a couple of months ago in Xcode 15 and did successfully build it, but in Xcode 16 it wont build and it fails with this error:

clang: error: unknown argument: '-e_ProExtensionMain'

I have installed multiple times Workflow Extensions SDK 1.0.2 and even disabled Library validation like its described in the release notes but I dont think thats the problem here.

Seems like clang doesn't have the arguments for it, I guess the SDK should add these but seems like something got messed up - the template shows up fine in Xcode. I reinstalled Xcode and command line tools but that didnt help. Checking clang it really doesnt have the argument. But where does the SDK add this? Xcode seems to be using internal clang and /usr/bin/clang doesn't have it either.

Any tips what could be the problem here? I was not really able to locate the SDK to remove it before trying to install again - any ideas?

Steps to reproduce

1. Create new project
  2. Add FCP workflow extension target
  3. Build -> it fails

Same behaviour with 16.1 Beta. I am running Sonoma 14.7.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

There was a recent change in the linker and it now requires a space between the "-e" and the "_ProExtensionMain" for "Other Linker Flags" build setting.

There was a recent change in the linker and it now requires a space between the "-e" and the "_ProExtensionMain" for "Other Linker Flags" build setting.

Thank you, but that doesnt seem to do the trick :-/

I changed -e_ProExtensionMain to -e _ProExtensionMain but that fails with the same error just with added space. Xcode adds " around if there is a space in the list like this:

"-e _ProExtensionMain"

which should be fine I think but can't change it either. I also tested -e ProExtensionMain and -eProExtensionMain. Am I missing something?

To test I also downloaded a version of Xcode 15 and it works fine there. Even with Xcode 16 Command Line tools selected in Locations

Thanks for any input! :-)

Well, I dropped -e_ProExtensionMain from the linker flags, it builds and also works in Final Cut - don't really know whats up with that but that works for me ;-)

FCP Workflow extension does not build with clang unknown argument -e_ProExtensionMain in Xcode 16

Q