Family Controls Capabilities missing from capabilities menu in XCode

I am developing an app that will utilize the Family Controls capability to use the DeviceActivity API. I understand that I need to request access to the Family Controls entitlement before releasing the app, but I am nowhere near that stage. I want to be able to test the Family Controls/Device Activity APIs while developing the app in debug mode, but I don't have the ability to add the Family Controls capability to my app. When I go to add it, it doesn't show up in the available options of capabilities to add.

Do I need authorization for the Family Controls entitlement to even use the APIs in testing/development? Am I missing a prerequisite checkbox somewhere that would add the capability to the available options?

I'm using XCode 16.0.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 805949022

That capability should show up if you’re a member of a paid team. See Developer Account > Reference > Supported capabilities (iOS). I suspect you’re using free provisioning, aka a Personal Team. The Personal Team feature has significant limitations [1] and this is one of them.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] See Developer > Support > Choosing a Membership.

Accepted Answer

That capability should show up if you’re a member of a paid team. See Developer Account > Reference > Supported capabilities (iOS). I suspect you’re using free provisioning, aka a Personal Team. The Personal Team feature has significant limitations [1] and this is one of them.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] See Developer > Support > Choosing a Membership.

Family Controls Capabilities missing from capabilities menu in XCode

Q