users Widgets disappear!!! Xcode 16

Some users have reported that the app's widgets have disappeared after we updated to the latest Xcode for iOS 18 development. They are unable to find our app in the widget search, which prevents them from re-adding the widget. We were unable to reproduce this issue on our own devices during testing. Could this be a system bug? Have others encountered a similar issue?

Answered by Engineer in 806265022

@Highmore your bug seems to infer you are using a Today Extension?

Rico

WWDR - DTS - Software Engineer

Hi,

The best first course of action here would be to use Console.app to monitor to the relevant processes related to your app and extensions.

A good way to start would be with filtering by the BundleID of the target and / or the target name itself (the process name).

Also be sure to check the system processes for additional information. This will vary based on what and where you are looking but some examples:
To debug APNS you'll want to monitor apnd along with other relevant processes.
To debug WidgetKit, LiveActivities, Dynamic Island you'll want to monitor springboardd, liveactivitiesd along with other relevant processes.

This should help you isolate whether there is a bug your code or Apple's. If you determine it is the system, please file a bug report and reply here with the bug number.

Rico

Same issue here.

Same here.

Same here We've lost our old widgets in iOS 16 and 17, but still have them in iOS 18 devices But in our case we didn't push app build in Xcode 16 to AppStore

Thank you for lodging a ticket @Highmore. I'm looking forward to getting a resolution from Apple Support soon.

Same as the others in the thread, I can't reproduce the issue on my device but it appears during App Review. Even restructuring the Widgets to follow the sample "Backyard Birds" project doesn't resolve the issue.

In my case there have been no code changes in the widgets that could cause the issue to appear. So my guess is that it's something related to Xcode 16/iOS 18. When building with Xcode 15, the problem still appears.

Same issue, almost the same codes, but the app built by Xcode 16 cannot find our widget.

@Highmore your bug seems to infer you are using a Today Extension?

Rico

users Widgets disappear!!! Xcode 16

Q