Can't install any apps on my new iPhone 16 Pro with iOS 18 from XCode

Error message:

Previous preparation error: The developer disk image could not be mounted on this device.; Error mounting image: 0xe800010f (kAMDMobileImageMounterPersonalizedBundleMissingVariantError: The bundle image is missing the requested variant for this device.)

I had no issues previously with my iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 18 and my XCode 15. Now, after switching to the iPhone 16 Pro, it won't work.

I've tried restarting my phone several times, quitting XCode, removing and readding developer mode—nothing quite works.

Answered by Developer Tools Engineer in 804884022

Thanks everyone for the reports via Feedback Assistant! We're aware of the issue impacting users that upgraded from Xcode 16 Beta 6 and Xcode 16 RC. We are working on a solution that doesn't require any manual intervention.

Quick Fix Option 1

Open Terminal and run (replacing the path to Xcode 16.0 if needed):

sudo installer -pkg /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/XcodeSystemResources.pkg -target /

Quick Fix Option 2

Download Xcode 16.1 Beta 2 and launch it.

Background for the curious...

Xcode's First Launch Experience does not install the XcodeSystemResources package if it detects that the versions of the installed frameworks match the versions of the packaged frameworks.

The final version of Xcode 16.0 contains support for iPhone 16 whereas the betas and release candidates do not. However, the versions of the frameworks installed by that package are the same (just with different hardware support options) as what shipped in Xcode 16.0 Beta 6 and the Release Candidate.

Given that, any users updating from Xcode 16.0 Beta 6 or the Release Candidates (which did not have support for iPhone 16) to Xcode 16.0 will unfortunatley have Xcode skip installation of that package.

--

To users on Xcode 15. It's expected that Xcode 15 does not support iPhone 16. Please update to Xcode 16.0.

got same error on iphone 16 pro max

Same issue

Running into same thing. I went to Settings -> General -> Software Update and noticed that there's an iOS 18 update ready to be installed. I'm guessing that needs to be installed before the device can be paired with Xcode.

I can't install the update until the iCloud backup is restored though so I won't know until later.

Same here. iPhone 16 Pro Max. Tried all of the above, plus upgrading to Sequoia. Nothing works. Please help.

Same issue here with released macOS 15.0, Xcode 16.0 (16A242d) and iPhone 16 Pro. Filed a feedback FB15201194

I'm having the same issue.

Same here, I'm on iOS 18.1 developer beta and see the same issue on Xcode 16 and 16.1

Same issue

Same issue on my end. Running the latest 18.1 beta 4 and a new iPhone 16 Pro. Have gone through turning developer mode on/off and trying to update my bundle info. No luck yet.

I downloaded Xcode 16.1 beta 2 and this error went away (for me). Hope this helps🤞🏻

(but just remember to submit your builds with the non-beta Xcode. oops 🤦🏻‍♂️)

I'm also unable to pair my iPhone 16 Pro with Xcode 16.0 (16A242d) on macOS 15.0 (24A335).

The error details that Xcode displays will be attached.

Things I've tried:

1. Installing the latest iOS 18 software update (as of this morning).
  2. Rebooting iPhone.
  3. Rebooting Mac.
  4. Restarting Xcode.
  5. Turning Developer Mode off and back on again.
  6. Clearing Trusted Computers in iOS Settings > Developer menu.
  7. Deleting Xcode, along with ~/Library/Caches/Xcode and ~/Library/Developer and reinstalling Xcode.
  8. Moving /Library/Developer/DeveloperDiskImages/iOS aside so Xcode can't find them (in hope that it would re-download corrected versions).

So far, none of this has worked (including various different permutations of the above).

As far as I can tell, Xcode is unusable with the new iPhones (which is nearly unbelievably shocking, but it's hard to imagine a transient hiccup surviving all of the above).

The developer disk image could not be mounted on this device.
Domain: com.apple.dt.CoreDeviceError
Code: 12040
Failure Reason: Error mounting image: 0xe800010f (kAMDMobileImageMounterPersonalizedBundleMissingVariantError: The bundle image is missing the requested variant for this device.)
User Info: {
    DDIPath = "/Library/Developer/DeveloperDiskImages/iOS_DDI.dmg";
    DVTErrorCreationDateKey = "2024-09-21 18:30:22 +0000";
    DeviceIdentifier = "498371D5-46A6-4CBC-B78E-C2089F911F51";
    NSURL = "file:///Library/Developer/DeveloperDiskImages/iOS_DDI.dmg";
    Options =     {
        MountedBundlePath = "file:///private/var/tmp/CoreDevice_DDI_Staging_501/498371D5-46A6-4CBC-B78E-C2089F911F51/";
        UseCredentials = 0;
    };
    "com.apple.dt.DVTCoreDevice.operationName" = enablePersonalizedDDI;
}
--
Error mounting image: 0xe800010f (kAMDMobileImageMounterPersonalizedBundleMissingVariantError: The bundle image is missing the requested variant for this device.)
Domain: com.apple.mobiledevice
Code: -402652913
    FunctionName = AMDeviceRemoteMountPersonalizedBundle;
    LineNumber = 2145;
}
--
Failed to initialize image properties: 0xe800010f (kAMDMobileImageMounterPersonalizedBundleMissingVariantError: The bundle image is missing the requested variant for this device.)
    FunctionName = "-[PersonalizedImage mountImage:]";
    LineNumber = 1816;
}
--
Failed to find image for variant/identity: (variant: DeveloperDiskImage | boardID: 12 | chipID: 33088 | securityDomain: 1).
    FunctionName = "-[PersonalizedImage initializeImageProperties:]";
    LineNumber = 1063;
}
--

System Information

macOS Version 15.0 (Build 24A335)
Xcode 16.0 (23051) (Build 16A242d)
Timestamp: 2024-09-21T11:30:22-07:00

I found that if I:

1. Installed Xcode 16.1 beta 2
  2. Then paired my device and built an app to it
  3. Then quit Xcode beta and launched Xcode 16.0

...that I was then able to successfully pair the device and install built apps to it from the non-beta Xcode.

Your mileage may vary.

Didn't even need to build or deploy an app with Beta 2 since Xcode 16.0 had already registered the new device.

1. Install and launch Xcode 16.1 Beta 2
  2. Open the Devices and Simulators window (Shift-Cmd-2)
  3. Let Xcode prepare the device for development and copy the shared cache symbols from the device
  4. Quit Xcode 16.1
  5. Open Xcode 16.0 and build & deploy as usual

Here's what worked for me:

• install Xcode 16.1 beta
  • build to my iPhone (16 pro w/ iOS 18.1 beta 4)

Lousy error message (are you listening, Apple?) - but the cause was simple enough: Xcode 16 cannot install to an iPhone 16 w/ iOS beta 18.1 - I needed Xcode 16.1

I'm running iOS 18.0 on my iPhone 16 Pro, and using Xcode 16.1 beta 2 as suggested by @nekno worked for me.

Can't install any apps on my new iPhone 16 Pro with iOS 18 from XCode

Q