Xcode won't notarize app with network extension

The archive build part works, and uses the correct entitlements file:

[Key] com.apple.developer.networking.networkextension
	[Value]
		[Array]
			[String] app-proxy-provider-systemextension

That's from codesign -dv --entitlements - ...../NetworkExtensionExperiment.app

However, the distribution log shows

"Error Domain=DVTPortalProfileErrorDomain Code=4 \"Cannot create a Developer ID provisioning profile for \"com.kithrup.NetworkExtensionExperiment\".\" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Cannot create a Developer ID provisioning profile for \"com.kithrup.NetworkExtensionExperiment\"., IDEDistributionIssueSeverity=3, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=The Network Extensions capability is not available for Developer ID provisioning profiles. Disable this feature and try again., NSUnderlyingError=0x600013e719b0 {Error Domain=DVTPortalProfileTypeErrorDomain Code=0 \"Cannot create a Developer ID provisioning profile.\" UserInfo={UnsupportedFeatureNames=(\n    \"Network Extensions\"\n), NSLocalizedDescription=Cannot create a Developer ID provisioning profile., NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=The Network Extensions capability is not available for Developer ID provisioning profiles. Disable this feature and try again.}}}",
    "Error Domain=IDEProfileLocatorErrorDomain Code=1 \"No profiles for 'com.kithrup.NetworkExtensionExperiment' were found\" UserInfo={IDEDistributionIssueSeverity=3, NSLocalizedDescription=No profiles for 'com.kithrup.NetworkExtensionExperiment' were found, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Xcode couldn't find any Developer ID provisioning profiles matching 'com.kithrup.NetworkExtensionExperiment'.}"

which, given that I was able to build a signed version with the entitlement as shown first, seems to be a problem.

All my years of hating xcode are coming back to haunt me, I can tell.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 803401022

You are bumping into an Xcode bug limitation. See Exporting a Developer ID Network Extension.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

You are bumping into an Xcode bug limitation. See Exporting a Developer ID Network Extension.

Share and Enjoy

The thing is, I do have the right entitlements in it -- see my output. But I still have to manually notarize in this case? (Our actual product is all command-line and I wrote scripts for all of this, but then promptly forgot everything I wrote, as is of course expected.)

But I still have to manually notarize in this case?

Yes. Once you’ve fallen off Xcode’s happy path, you have to complete the journey on your own.

Share and Enjoy

See I always KNEW Xcode was out to get me it's just taken TWENTY FIVE YEARS to prove it! 😄

Xcode won't notarize app with network extension

Q