iOS Date & Time Settings

Hi, I’m an app developer and I would like to suggest that there is an API that allows me to check if the user has set their date and time setting to automatic. That setting should be accessible as a read only value.

This would allow several apps to operate offline as there is no longer a need to check the internet for an accurate time to prevent users from skipping time ahead.

I have implemented this check on my app on Android and it has been very well received as it is able to operate offline again. It would be a huge plus to be able to make my app offline compatible again.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 802899022
I would like to suggest

The best way to get that suggestion to the folks who have the power to enact change is to file an enhancement request. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

What you’re really looking for here is a secure timestamps, that is, to get the current time in a way that’s independent of user actions. This question has come up numerous times here on DevForums. You can find my latest answer here. It doesn’t solve the problem completely, but it handles the most common cases.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I would like to suggest

The best way to get that suggestion to the folks who have the power to enact change is to file an enhancement request. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

What you’re really looking for here is a secure timestamps, that is, to get the current time in a way that’s independent of user actions. This question has come up numerous times here on DevForums. You can find my latest answer here. It doesn’t solve the problem completely, but it handles the most common cases.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I actually did submit a feature request last year, but never received a response. Bug Number: FB13470133

Secure timestamps are overkill for games. If developers were simply allowed to check if the date time settings are set to automatic(which the average user has set), you can assume the system clock is reliable when offline.

Right now, I fetch the time from the internet and then use the system internal clock to tick it forward, with the value only becoming unreliable if the player reboots their phone. Which is almost offline! The App Store frequently promotes offline games as a feature, so I assume this change would be something that they would want?

iOS Date & Time Settings

Q