Using CPVoiceControlTemplate in my CarPlay app to capture voice

I have a CarPlay navigation app and I would like to allow the user to speak an address and have our app search at that location.

In the Waze app, it provides a button to tap, then it brings up a CPVoiceControlTemplate and you can give it directions or a location and it will then show you search results including the text you spoke as the title. I assume that app would have the same limitations as I do, so I am wondering how another app might do this?

It was suggested that I use an App Intent with suggested phrases and then a Shortcut could perform the action. Is there documentation on this somewhere or am I going in the wrong direction here?

Obviously Waze is doing what I am wanting so there must be a way. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Answered by Frameworks Engineer in 802725022

CPVoiceControlTemplate is generally meant for cases where you're bringing your own voice assistant. This template provides a visual indicator to the user that your app is listening, along with a prompt to help the user understand what to say.

Generally your app should show the voice control template, open the microphone, and process the user's speech using your own speech engine. Then, what happens next is up to your app: you could start navigation, or you could show a list template with possible destinations if there's more than one search result.

The voice control template isn't meant to work with Siri intents, but this would be a great enhancement/feedback request to file, thanks!

CPVoiceControlTemplate is generally meant for cases where you're bringing your own voice assistant. This template provides a visual indicator to the user that your app is listening, along with a prompt to help the user understand what to say.

Generally your app should show the voice control template, open the microphone, and process the user's speech using your own speech engine. Then, what happens next is up to your app: you could start navigation, or you could show a list template with possible destinations if there's more than one search result.

The voice control template isn't meant to work with Siri intents, but this would be a great enhancement/feedback request to file, thanks!

So you suggest using one of the API to recognize speech such as in this example? https://developer.apple.com/tutorials/app-dev-training/transcribing-speech-to-text

Using CPVoiceControlTemplate in my CarPlay app to capture voice

Q