Is it possible to autodelete iWatch app with a new iPhone app update without WatchKit?

I have an application with watchKit, now I am removing support to iWatch app. Is it possible that iWatch app will automatically disappear? Right now, it is not.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 802739022

OK, I checked with watchOS folks, and would like to confirm that the behavior I had described above only applies to dependent watchOS apps. An independent watchOS app works independently, even the iOS app is not installed. I guess that is why an installed watchOS app is left on the device in your case.

For more information about dependent vs independent, see TN3157: Updating your watchOS project for SwiftUI and WidgetKit.

I understand though that, if you remove your watchOS app and release a update, it will be pretty clear that you won't maintain the watchOS app, and so the watchOS app left on a device may not work (if it relies on something that you don't maintain anymore) – If that is your case, I’d suggest that you file a feedback report (http://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/) and share your report ID here.

Best,
——
Ziqiao Chen
 Worldwide Developer Relations.

"Right now, it is not."

As far as I know, if you have an App Store app that supports iOS + watchOS, and then at some point you remove the watchOS support and release an update. When a user installs the update, the system will automatically remove the watchOS app.

It doesn't seem that you see the behavior though... Would you mind to share more details about the steps you used to observe that the system didn't remove the app? Did you use Xcode to install the app update, or did you try with a TestFlight / App Store update?

Best,
——
Ziqiao Chen

I am working on a React Native app and removed whole WatchKit and Widget code from Xcode including Targets etc. App is working fine on new installation. But, if watch app is already there in iWatch then it is not getting auto deleted. But, I can still see few keys in Build Settings without any values which are not getting deleted. I have manually updated .pbxproj file and related all keys related to watch and widgets. I have not deleted the Bundle identifier and Provisioning profiles from Developer Portal yet. I have released a build on Testflight and checked on a real iWatch and iPhone. App is working fine and showing iWatch app for fresh install but in case of iWatch app already installed, it is not getting auto deleted.

OK, I checked with watchOS folks, and would like to confirm that the behavior I had described above only applies to dependent watchOS apps. An independent watchOS app works independently, even the iOS app is not installed. I guess that is why an installed watchOS app is left on the device in your case.

For more information about dependent vs independent, see TN3157: Updating your watchOS project for SwiftUI and WidgetKit.

I understand though that, if you remove your watchOS app and release a update, it will be pretty clear that you won't maintain the watchOS app, and so the watchOS app left on a device may not work (if it relies on something that you don't maintain anymore) – If that is your case, I’d suggest that you file a feedback report (http://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/) and share your report ID here.

Best,
——
Ziqiao Chen

Is it possible to autodelete iWatch app with a new iPhone app update without WatchKit?

Q