Failure to launch despite successful notarization

I have a project that notarizes and runs successfully, but then I went to change one of the .a static libraries that it links against, and despite a successful signing and notarization, when it is launched, it pops up a dialog saying that the app "cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified."

The notarization report looks like this:

{
  "logFormatVersion": 1,
  "jobId": "24ca9c37-77c6-41fd-a5be-d743aa195b5a",
  "status": "Accepted",
  "statusSummary": "Ready for distribution",
  "statusCode": 0,
  "archiveFilename": "MyApp.dmg",
  "uploadDate": "2024-08-27T15:19:36.381Z",
  "sha256": "88f510690da80f0b682774d4240afef05cfe6123ba8427db6afb6006f401ed42",
  "ticketContents": [
  ],
  "issues": null
}

How can I get more information about how to diagnose this?

Answered by DTS Engineer in 801807022

This is a pretty common. Notarisation checks whether your app has “malicious components”, it doesn’t certify that it’ll pass Gatekeeper.

I have a series of posts, starting at Resolving Trusted Execution Problems, that explain how to investigate such problems. I recommend that you start with syspolicy_check, because it’ll often quickly highlight the problem.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I should also mention that I am indeed stapling it:

The staple and validate action worked!

Accepted Answer

This is a pretty common. Notarisation checks whether your app has “malicious components”, it doesn’t certify that it’ll pass Gatekeeper.

I have a series of posts, starting at Resolving Trusted Execution Problems, that explain how to investigate such problems. I recommend that you start with syspolicy_check, because it’ll often quickly highlight the problem.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Failure to launch despite successful notarization

Q