WatchConnectivity: Sending from Watch (in audio background mode) -> iPhone (backgrounded) not working

Hi,

I have an app that is performing long-duration audio recording on the Watch and need to communicate with the phone occasionally to:

1. Request an auth token (login happens on the phone app) when needing to upload a recording.

2. Occasionally poke the iPhone app to sample the current location (I don't do this on Watch).

Most of the time, both the Watch and iPhone apps would be backgrounded but the Watch app has background audio enabled and is recording, so processing continues.

I'm finding that WatchConnectivity isn't connected to the phone in these cases and cannot send a ping. That is, on the Watch side, WatchConnectivity is not connected to the phone (isReachable==false), and the messages are simply never received on the phone as a result.

I'm not sure how else the apps should communicate this information. How are these scenarios typically handled?

Thank you,

-- B.

WatchConnectivity: Sending from Watch (in audio background mode) -> iPhone (backgrounded) not working

Q