Spatial Video captured quality using the API differs from that of the iPhone's built-in camera app

I tried "WWDC24: Build compelling spatial photo and video experiences | Apple" and it can successfully capture spatial video.

But I found the video by my app differs from the iPhone build-in camera app in:

1. Videos captured with the iPhone's build-in camera app tend to have a more natural or warmer tone, while videos taken with my app appear whiter or cooler in color temperature.
  2. In videos recorded using the iPhone's built-in camera app, the left eye image is typically sharper than the right eye image. However, in my app, this is reversed: the right eye image is clearer than the left eye image.
  3. I've noticed that when I cover the wide-angle lens while shooting, the entire preview screen in my app becomes brighter. However, this doesn't occur when using the iPhone's built-in camera app.

Is there any api or parameters to make my app more close to the iPhone build-in app? I have tried "whiteBalanceMode" and "exposureMode" but no luck.

Answered by Vision Pro Engineer in 800428022

Hey @tim_yao_18,

This feels like a bug to me. I would expect both videos to have matching color temperatures.

I'd love to have our engineering teams investigate this issue further, as resolution may involve changes to Apple's software. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could open a bug report, include the videos recorded via both methods and a sample project that shows how you are using the APIs to record the video, and post the FB number here once you do.

Bug Reporting: How and Why? has tips on creating your bug report.

Thanks,
Michael

Accepted Answer

Hey @tim_yao_18,

This feels like a bug to me. I would expect both videos to have matching color temperatures.

I'd love to have our engineering teams investigate this issue further, as resolution may involve changes to Apple's software. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could open a bug report, include the videos recorded via both methods and a sample project that shows how you are using the APIs to record the video, and post the FB number here once you do.

Bug Reporting: How and Why? has tips on creating your bug report.

Thanks,
Michael

I fire the bug with the same title that its FB number is: FB14829880

Spatial Video captured quality using the API differs from that of the iPhone's built-in camera app

Q