Issues with Xquartz and Application GUI on 2024 MacBook Air

Dear Apple Developers,

I hope this message finds you well. I apologize for the interruption; I am not a developer, but a user of a MacBook who has encountered a frustrating issue when launching applications via Xquartz on my 2024 MacBook Air. After reaching out to Apple Support without success, I am seeking assistance here.

I am an academic researcher in structural biology. Recently, I upgraded from a 2017 MacBook Pro to a 2024 MacBook Air. Since the upgrade, I have been unable to properly launch application GUIs from our HPC using SSH and the module load command, a process that worked seamlessly on my 2017 MacBook Pro.

While Xquartz launches and runs in the background automatically on the 2024 MacBook Air, just as it did on the 2017 MacBook Pro, the application GUIs I need do not display correctly. Specifically, PyMOL opens with a blank interface, preventing me from viewing structures, and Chimera shows an error message before quitting automatically. I have attached the error logs for your reference.

The most significant difference between the 2017 MacBook Pro and the 2024 MacBook Air is the transition from an Intel to an M3 chip. I wonder if this could be the root of the problem?

Any assistance in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time and support.

Yours sincerely,

Lingting

Issues with Xquartz and Application GUI on 2024 MacBook Air

Q