Can't turn on Developer Mode on iPhone 12 mini

Hi,

I am developing an iOS application using React Native on the Expo platform with EAS. I have followed all of the Expo documentation for setting up my development environment, but in order to create a development build to test my app on my iPhone 12 mini, it says that I need to enable Developer Mode on my device.

The issue I'm running into is that when I go to Settings > Privacy & Security, here is no Developer Mode option as expected. I ensured that my device is registered in the Apple Developer portal, and I tried restarting my device multiple times to no avail. I also tried searching the developer forums for a solution, but the only solution I saw was to hook my device up to XCode which isn't an option since I'm developing my app on Windows using EAS.

Note that I'm running iOS 17.5.1 on my iPhone 12 mini.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do or anything I'm missing to enable Developer Mode on my device.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 795193022

the only solution I saw was to hook my device up to XCode which isn't an option since I'm developing my app on Windows using EAS.

Pairing the device with Xcode is a required step to make Developer Mode available. There is a process that Xcode needs to go through with the device in order to prepare the device for development.

Once you have a development environment where you can run Xcode, I suggest you create a brand new tester project from one of the templates in Xcode available in the File > New menu, set it up with your developer account so it can be run on device, and then actually run that project on the device. Going through these motions will take you through the expected steps required for Xcode to prepare the device for development, including making Developer Mode available for use.

—Ed Ford,  DTS Engineer

You may have a look here to check if you meet all requirements to enable developer’s mode: https://getupdraft.com/blog/how-enable-ios-developer-mode-iphone-or-ipad

the only solution I saw was to hook my device up to XCode which isn't an option since I'm developing my app on Windows using EAS.

Pairing the device with Xcode is a required step to make Developer Mode available. There is a process that Xcode needs to go through with the device in order to prepare the device for development.

Once you have a development environment where you can run Xcode, I suggest you create a brand new tester project from one of the templates in Xcode available in the File > New menu, set it up with your developer account so it can be run on device, and then actually run that project on the device. Going through these motions will take you through the expected steps required for Xcode to prepare the device for development, including making Developer Mode available for use.

—Ed Ford,  DTS Engineer

Can't turn on Developer Mode on iPhone 12 mini

Q