Enterprise distribution of iOS app does not install watchOS app

We have a project with both an iPhone target, and a watchOS target. In Xcode, if I install the iPhone app to my local device, the watchOS app is also installed automatically. This is the desired outcome.

When I go thru the motions of distributing the app via internal website, the iOS app is installed to users iPhones, but the watch component is missing. Here's what I do:

product / clean build folder product / archive the screen shows "watchOS - iOS app install is required" distribute Enterprise at this point, the left panel shows my app with "iOS, watchOS" This creates files in a folder for me to deploy. application.ipa distribution summary.plist exportoptions.plist packaging.log

So -- it looks to me like everything is acting perfectly, but when installing the app on the end user device, the watch app is not there.

I've tried starting this process with the local watch app selected in the top bar, with no difference. Looking inside the generated 4 files, I do see "watch" in there....

So -- what am I doing incorrectly? It seems like when I get a public app off the store, there is an option to also grab the companion watch app, but not too sure in this enterprise environment.

Also, I have an old manifest.plist that lives in the distribution folder, but that does not get regenerated when I do a new [distribute app]. Not even sure where that came from over time and how to create a new one. Maybe the watch app is supposed to be in there? There's a checkbox I'm missing....

Ideas? Thanks.

Enterprise distribution of iOS app does not install watchOS app

Q