Is it OK to use UIDocument for a shoebox-style app?

I have an existing app which uses a JSON-based file format currently saved to Application Support (so not user visible). It only needs a single data store per-user.

I would like to integrate it with iCloud to make this file available on other devices.

Is it considered acceptable to use UIDocument on its own for loading/saving the single file?

By this I mean without using UIDocumentBrowserViewController or another file picker. Just my app loading right into the main UI but using UIDocument to open/read/save/close the data file.

I am hoping this would allow me to let UIDocument do most of the boilerplate work around NSFileCoordinator and NSFilePresenter.

Can anyone confirm if this is a thing that is known to be OK? Or am I going against the frameworks here?

I've done this for at least one app and had no problems. One main purpose of UIDocument is to facilitate multiple user-perceived files, of course, but there's no harm in using it simply to store a single file in the app's ubiquitous storage that you manage for the user. (The only real disadvantage I've hit is the inability to interact with the document from watchOS.)

Is it OK to use UIDocument for a shoebox-style app?

Q