Disable Wi-Fi Assist when app is connected to specific Wi-Fi

Hello, I have an app that talks with physical device over Wi-Fi.

The app can send commands and receives a stream of data from it. This commutation happens over Wi-Fi (which has no access to the internet)

As a result OS will throw Wi-Fi Assist alert, and offer switch to cellular data.

How to avoid this alert? In my scenario if user disconnects from Wi-Fi, he loses access to physical device.

In About Wi-Fi Assist it is mentioned

Wi-Fi Assist doesn’t activate with some third-party apps that stream audio or video, or download attachments, like an email app, as they might use large amounts of data.

Well my app does download large amount of data from the device. Could my app be eligible for this exception?
Answered by DTS Engineer in 802489022

There isn’t an API for Wi-Fi Assist. In general, iOS has very limited Wi-Fi APIs; I put a summary of them in TN3151 Choosing the right networking API.

I have a post, Extra-ordinary Networking, which references a bunch of other posts about networking at this level, including working with Wi-Fi accessories. I’m not sure if there’s anything in there that’ll help you specifically, but I recommend that you read it before going further.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

dictation priv- wifi "brands" usage

There isn’t an API for Wi-Fi Assist. In general, iOS has very limited Wi-Fi APIs; I put a summary of them in TN3151 Choosing the right networking API.

I have a post, Extra-ordinary Networking, which references a bunch of other posts about networking at this level, including working with Wi-Fi accessories. I’m not sure if there’s anything in there that’ll help you specifically, but I recommend that you read it before going further.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Disable Wi-Fi Assist when app is connected to specific Wi-Fi

Q