Sidecar not connecting, device timed out...

I have a new iPad Air (4th Gen) trying to connect with my Macbook Pro 2017 on Big Sur... Display is not connecting and request times out.

They are on the same Wifi network, have bluetooth enabled (although the devices wont connect to each other, but show under My Devices), have Handoff enabled, and am logged in under the same Apple ID with 2FA.

I’ve tried restarting the devices, toggling settings, and resetting network settings... I've tried all of the above connected with a USB-C and also unconnected.

The iPad is set as a Trusted device via Finder when plugged into my Macbook. Not sure what else I can do.

Thanks in advance!

FIXED.

For those who've tried the other fixes in this comment thread, THIS is what I had to do to get my 12" iPad Pro's display connected to/through Sidecar. I connect to my 2019 MacBook Pro 15" i9 8 core model.

**What I did:

Open settings in iPad. Check upper Left your Name and Photo, and if you have errors related to iCloud, iCloud sync, or encryption errors, make the needed corrections and it should solve the connection issue. iPad and MacBook appear to need point to point encryption in order to allow that connection.

Hope this helps someone... Let me know!

It was mentioned once before in this thread, but I'll shine a bit more light on this solution that worked for me. The only fix that worked for me was to disable my VPN or turn on "Local Network Sharing" inside my VPN's settings. It seems that having the VPN disallow local network sharing prevents sidecar from working for some reason.

VPNs commonly come with the "Local Network Sharing" option disabled, and this appears to prevent sidecar from working. When I disconnected my VPN, sidecar started working. Enabling the VPN again caused sidecar to no longer connect. With the VPN still connected, I went into my VPN's settings and enabled "Local Network Sharing." This worked. Now the VPN is still connected and sidecar works.

Simple solve! I was having a similar issue, and it turned out that my iPad had (for no reason at all) disconnected from my wifi network. I went into settings and selected my home wifi from the list of networks and it connected immediately. I have no clue why it wasn't automatically connected to my wifi, since I was using it 12 hours ago in the exact same location, with the exact same setup - usb-c connection to Macbook Pro - with a perfect sidecar connection. 🤷‍♂️

NONE OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS WORKED FOR ME, TRIED THEM ALL

Turn off "Limit IP address tracking"

WOW - All this time I have fought this and the solution has been right here since January

none of these worked for me

sidecar worked like a charm for me but now i have no idea whats going on

at the time of this posting - all software up to date

• re-logged into apple ID

• rebooted multiple times on both devices

• reset settings

• macbook air m1 - sequoia 15.0

• ipad pro ML0G2LL/A - iOS 16.7.10

Sidecar not connecting, device timed out...

Q