Apple ID username or password is "incorrect" while trying to install OS X 10.11

After trying to install OS X El Capitan onto my hard drive, I've come across a problem. When it asks me to sign into my Apple ID I do with the correct information. It then says that my username or password is incorrect. I know this is not the case because I have reset my password and tested it by signing into the App Store on my phone. Anyone else have this problem? Any fixes? Thanks.

Dogneal

Just spoke to apple support for hours to solve this, i promise this works if the problem is 2FA not being compatible with Yosemite (or older versions).

If it's telling you your password is incorrect even though you're sure it's correct, but your other devices are still offering you a login verification code, this is the solution!!

First, enter your password normally and wait for the 2FA code to show up on your other device. Then, enter your password again immediately followed by the code. For example, if your code was 123456, you would enter: yourPassword123456.

This worked for me! Hope it can help someone else too :)

There seems to be an issue with two-factor authentication. I had the same and fixed it this way:

1. Enter your Apple ID and password when logging in to the App Store.

2. It will tell you that you entered your login information incorrectly. Disregard that.

3. On one of your other, trusted devices, click on "Allow Login" and note the 6 digit code it gives you.

4. Now, try to login again but add the 6 digit code to the end of your password.

For example, if your password is pw123, and your 6 digit code is 987654, your new password should be: pw123987654

This did the trick for me and I hope it will work for you as well!

Here is the fix:

When the "invalid password" message is displayed, a 2 factor authentication code appears on another device. Enter the password again and APPEND the authentication code from the other device to the password. The install will continue.

Appending the code did not work for me.

I had the issue when trying to reinstall Mac OS on an old MackBook Pro (2017). I could install instead a later version of Mac OS than the one that it was shipped with (Maverick instead of Yosemite). You can do this as follows:

Then choosing "Reinstall Mac OS" will offer a later version (perhaps the one that was last installed).
It did not ask for password at all.

Enter password again followed immediately by the verification code!

worked for me

Thanks -- very unexpected workaround, but this let me use the App Store while running macOS Yosemite. It was stuck in a loop telling me my password was incorrect but also popping up the two-factor authentication on my phone each time, but never letting me type the code in on macOS.

That's the solution. Thank you so much.

Not this one, the solution is at the second page.

Here is the fix: When the "invalid password" message is displayed, a 2 factor authentication code appears on another device. Enter the password again and APPEND the authentication code from the other device to the password. The install will continue. —  PublishNEY 1 month ago 

worked for me

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

This help for me.

Verification code: sends a code to your email or iCloud account for you regenerate your account

This help me a lot before I did all that work

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

Apple ID username or password is "incorrect" while trying to install OS X 10.11

Q