Sequoia - incorrect alert about "app wants to access data from other app

We have a sync solution with two apps that are an application-group. I use an NSUserDefaults object opened with initWithSuiteName to share config data between the two. That has not been a problem in the past. However,in the Sequoia Beta 7 (24a5327a), when I read or write to the NSUserDefaults from either app, the "<appName> would like to access data from other apps" dialog appears. This occurs on every restart on our test systems and more often for some of our customers testing (perhaps with older betas).

The warning is not indicative of what I'm doing, and the fact that it comes up every single launch will freak out customers.

There was a similar issue opened in Beta 4 that was marked fixed in beta 5: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/760072?answerId=799001022#799001022

I posted this in the beta feedback forums before GA but got no response.

Answered by Engineer in 805483022

Hello @tsrich, our engineering teams need to investigate this issue, as resolution may involve changes to Apple's software. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could open a bug report and post the FB number here once you do. Bug Reporting: How and Why? has tips on creating your bug report.

Accepted Answer

Hello @tsrich, our engineering teams need to investigate this issue, as resolution may involve changes to Apple's software. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could open a bug report and post the FB number here once you do. Bug Reporting: How and Why? has tips on creating your bug report.

Thanks for your response. I've opened feedback incident FB15258136. Note that I had to open this from my dev laptop running Sonoma, as the Sequoia VM I'm testing with had issues logging into apple (Parallels issue I think).

@Engineer How do I follow up with the response to the feedback issue? I've not seen anything so far.

How does your group id start?

on macOS it has to start with the team ID on iOS it starts with group.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/configuring-app-groups

@Iomegan Thanks, that's interesting. Our current implementation doesn't preface the teamid, it looks something like com.mycompany.groupname.

I've changed the group id in the entitlements to look like: <key>com.apple.security.application-groups</key> <array> <string>$(TeamIdentifierPrefix)com.mycompany.groupname</string>

And changed the access methods (NSUserDefaults initWithSuiteName, NSFileManager containerURLForSecurityApplicationGroupIdentifier) to use the new group id.

But I'm still seeing the same popups. I assume something is wrong in our app group setup, but I'm not sure what else to check

Sequoia - incorrect alert about "app wants to access data from other app

Q