Qt C++ executable and Local network access issues on macOS Sequoia

Hello, I have a Qt c++ executable that accesses a server backend on my local network.

After building the executable, I can run it either from within the Qt Creator IDE, OR I can run it from the command line.

When I launch from within the Qt Creator IDE, the same executable cannot talk to the backend server on my local network. However, the same executable when launched from the command line works fine.

This started only with macOS Sequoia and the new "Local Network" permission. How can I get my IDE launched executable to work? Otherwise I cannot continue my app development.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 805096022

I agree that you’re most likely hitting a local network privacy limit.

Local network privacy enforcement is based on the execution context. Tools that your run from Terminal are always granted the privilege. However, the same executable run in other contexts may or may not work, depending on the context. For example, if you spawn the executable as a child process of a GUI app, the tool inherits its local network privacy state from the GUI app.

The situation with IDEs is more complex. A process being debugged by an IDE may or may not inherit the IDE’s local network privacy state, depending on exactly how the IDE spawns the process. I don’t maintain expertise in third-party tooling, so I recommend that you raise this issue with your IDE’s vendor.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I agree that you’re most likely hitting a local network privacy limit.

Local network privacy enforcement is based on the execution context. Tools that your run from Terminal are always granted the privilege. However, the same executable run in other contexts may or may not work, depending on the context. For example, if you spawn the executable as a child process of a GUI app, the tool inherits its local network privacy state from the GUI app.

The situation with IDEs is more complex. A process being debugged by an IDE may or may not inherit the IDE’s local network privacy state, depending on exactly how the IDE spawns the process. I don’t maintain expertise in third-party tooling, so I recommend that you raise this issue with your IDE’s vendor.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

This has nothing to do the IDE vendor. Apple introduced the network privacy state, but there is no way to add executables manually to give them the network access. Is there a way to add the IDE executable to the network privacy allowed list?

Qt C++ executable and Local network access issues on macOS Sequoia

Q