HLS streaming from a Uniview IP camera

Hi

I'm trying to stream a H264 video feed that is coming from a uniview IP camera in a browser however the stream is just not displaying. Either I get a single frame or just a black screen. I get the same issues on safari on the mac or any browser on an iphone. However the video stream works just fine using hls.js in Windows or on Android.

We are grabbing the the RTSP stream from the camera and using ngix to serve the .m3u8 url. However even if we save the stream to a file and try an play it on the iphone it has the same issue (unless we use a separate media player like VLC).

I know if we use ffmpeg to reencode as H264 rather than copy it the it will play. My guess there is an incompatibility between how uniview encode the video and what apple can accept.

I've asked uniview and they are not sure what the problem is either.

Is there a way to get more debug information on why a particular HLS stream is failing in safari on mac or iPhone.

Just a minor update. I just discovered HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) Tools,

So I ran "Media Stream Validator" and found a few MUST fix errors in the report. However then reencoded the stream so it was playing and then ran the report gain. However I got the same MUST fix errors again plus an extra one. Although the reencoded video does play so I'm still not sure what the problem actually is.

I've attached the two reports if that helps.

HLS streaming from a Uniview IP camera

Q