iOS 18 - Safari Extension turned on but not working & storage nuked

Hello,

I am developer of a Safari Extension.

I have had a few reports from users who have paid for my app and have upgraded to iOS 18 report that the extension isn't working any more.

I upgraded myself and opened Safari, my extension was turned on but not working. I turned the extension off and back on, then it started working. However it did not have anything in browser.storage.local... so it has to be setup again from scratch for all of these users...

This has been confirmed by multiple users.

What the hell is this Apple?

Why have you nuked Safari Extension storage when upgrading to iOS 18?

And why does the extension stop working when upgrading to iOS 18?

Nowhere near good enough... was this even tested?

Answered by chrisml in 804577022

We are still not sure if that’s a bug on our side or Apple’s. Maybe there’s a new permission that we need to request?

It's a bug on Apple's side.

Something to do with Safari 18 shipping with a different database schema version to WebKit and because of this, when converting storage (not sure why it does that) - it nukes all local storage.

Brilliant if you ask me.

Now I have thousands of users that have to setup my extension again.

It has apparently been fixed in this PR but I'm not sure when that will be released. See my PR comment.

I know there is an 18.1 beta, maybe 18.1.1??? I don't know. Too late anyway.

https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/pull/33778#issuecomment-2362289012

Hello, we have a similar problem, but on macOS.

All settings + data of the user (& myself included) are gone after updating to macOS Sequoia / Safari 18.

We are still not sure if that’s a bug on our side or Apple’s. Maybe there’s a new permission that we need to request?

Sequoia has a lot of new pop-ups that users need to confirm all the time when opening apps, so maybe there’s also a new permission for the storage that we need to request?

Accepted Answer

It's a bug on Apple's side.

Something to do with Safari 18 shipping with a different database schema version to WebKit and because of this, when converting storage (not sure why it does that) - it nukes all local storage.

Brilliant if you ask me.

Now I have thousands of users that have to setup my extension again.

It has apparently been fixed in this PR but I'm not sure when that will be released. See my PR comment.

I know there is an 18.1 beta, maybe 18.1.1??? I don't know. Too late anyway.

https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/pull/33778#issuecomment-2362289012

iOS 18 - Safari Extension turned on but not working & storage nuked

Q