Transparent Proxy overrides flow.metaData.sourceApplicationSigningIdentifier property

Hello,

I'm developing a transparent proxy which only intercepts traffic coming from certain apps.

I'm having a problem when there are other transparent proxies active where the flow.metaData.sourceApplicationSigningIdentifier property is whichever provider intercepted the traffic before my provider did.

To verify this, I have implemented a small application that installs two transparent proxy profiles which handle the flows only coming from Safari.

Here's the is the bit of the code where the provider determines that:

open override func handleNewFlow(_ flow: NEAppProxyFlow) -> Bool {
        guard let flow = flow as? NEAppProxyTCPFlow else { return false }

let sourceApp = flow.metaData.sourceAppSigningIdentifier
        NSLog("[TransparentProxyProvider] Received flow from: \(sourceApp)")

guard sourceApp == "com.apple.Safari" else { return false }

// Create NWConnection and handle flow copying as needed

return true
    }

As you can see from the following screenshots, when both profiles are active are the same time, the logs show that the second profile sees that the source application is the first profile:

From what I understand, that happens because the Transparent Proxy Provider creates a TCP connection and therefore, from the Operating System's perspective, is initiating a new separate flow which is what is then intercepted by the second provider.

My questions are:

1. Is this expected behavior?
  2. Is there a way to find what the actual source application was?
  3. How does the Operating System determine which profile receives the traffic first?
Answered by DTS Engineer in 804308022
From what I understand, that happens because the Transparent Proxy Provider creates a TCP connection and therefore, from the Operating System's perspective, is initiating a new separate flow which is what is then intercepted by the second provider.

That sounds about right. However, there is a way for a transparent proxy to correctly reflect the source of the flow. The way you do this depends on the API you’re using in your proxy:

• If you’re using the Network framework Swift API, call the setMetadata(on:) method to apply the appropriate metadata to the NWParameters you use for your connection. This is new in macOS 15.

• If you’re using the Network framework C API, call the setMetadata(_:) method to apply the appropriate metadata to the nw_parameters_t you use for your connection. This has been around since macOS 10.15.4.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

That sounds about right. However, there is a way for a transparent proxy to correctly reflect the source of the flow. The way you do this depends on the API you’re using in your proxy:

• If you’re using the Network framework Swift API, call the setMetadata(on:) method to apply the appropriate metadata to the NWParameters you use for your connection. This is new in macOS 15.

• If you’re using the Network framework C API, call the setMetadata(_:) method to apply the appropriate metadata to the nw_parameters_t you use for your connection. This has been around since macOS 10.15.4.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hi Quinn, thank you for the answer!

My problem now is that other apps, that I haven't developed, that don't properly set the metaData on the parameters are the ones interfering with my proxy.

They receive the flow before my proxy does, and I see that the source application as them.

Is there a way for me to find out what the source of flow they are proxying is or can I configure my proxy to somehow receive the traffic before them?

Transparent Proxy overrides flow.metaData.sourceApplicationSigningIdentifier property

Q