iOS 18 SwiftUI navigation bar problem

Okay I know, fill a bug... but here is a super simple app that will demostrate that the navigation bar chnages from Dark scheme to light scheme when you tap back after it goes to the second view.

import SwiftUI

struct ContentView: View {
    var body: some View {
        NavigationStack {
            NavigationLink {
                Text("Tap back and notice the navigation title changes to black text instead of white")
                    .toolbarBackground(.visible, for: .navigationBar)
                    .toolbarBackground(Color.orange, for: .navigationBar)
                    .toolbarColorScheme(.dark, for: .navigationBar)
            } label: {
                VStack {
                    Text("First page is the sweetest")
                }

.padding()
            }
            .navigationTitle("First Page")
            .toolbarBackground(.visible, for: .navigationBar)
            .toolbarBackground(Color.orange, for: .navigationBar)
            .toolbarColorScheme(.dark, for: .navigationBar)
        }
    }
}

#Preview {
    ContentView()
}

hi @geekydevjoe,

This is known issue! Please do file a bug and paste the FB number here. Thank you so much for bringing it to attention. Make sure to add that sample code into the feedback (https://feedbackassistant.apple.com )

Hey everyone,

I've also run into this bug, and as a temporary fix, I've reverted to using NavigationView, which, as we know, is deprecated and not an ideal long-term solution.

Is there any way to monitor the progress of this bug being addressed?

Thanks, Ruben

FB15181880

Hi again.

Even after trying different workarounds, including going back to the outdated NavigationView, I’m still facing light/dark mode switches in some other parts of the app where dark mode is being used. This is beyond frustrating.

As a developer, it’s incredibly disheartening to have zero control over such fundamental aspects of the UI. These aren’t minor bugs—these are core features that should just work. It’s baffling that something so basic wasn’t caught before release.

SwiftUI was supposed to streamline development, but with every major update, it feels like we're just trading one set of problems for another. It's exhausting to constantly battle with issues that shouldn’t even exist, especially when there’s no clear path to a solution.

I really hope Apple gets its act together and sorts this out. We’re trying to build quality apps here, but right now, SwiftUI is making that nearly impossible.

I guess I should be using betas and providing feedback. I did notice that practically all of the apple apps do not use a navigation stack like this. It is always light mode with full screen sheets.

iOS 18 SwiftUI navigation bar problem

Q