iOS 18 Per-App VPN: "Deactivate Configuration" Button Behavior

We’ve noticed that in iOS 18, the "Deactivate Configuration" button within the Per-App VPN settings immediately disables the VPN for selected apps without any confirmation prompt. This can be problematic for users, as there is no warning or verification before the action is taken, which may lead to unintended disruptions in VPN connectivity.

We haven’t found any relevant documentation on Apple’s developer website addressing this behavior.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if we can have documentation to disable this button using MDM profile it will be great

Screenshot of PerApp VPN config

This should be disable by using MDM profile, because for some customer VPN profile should be managed by MDM and should not be deactivated at user end. This will cause the security issues.

Is this a VPN product that you’re developing? Or are you seeing a change of behaviour for all third-party VPN products?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

We are developing a VPN product; we use PacketTunnelProvider and MDM Profile. We see this change for our customers.

This appears to be a new control given by iOS 18 to the users. I do not see any documentation about this within the release notes.

Hopefully, there will be an MDM control (restriction) that will be made available by Apple to control this behavior.

As always, rather than hope I recommend that you file an enhancement request for that feature.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hey Quinn! Is it fair to assume based on that latest response that as of iOS18 the current per-App VPN profile does not currently support disabling that control? I ask since I couldn't find anything likely here [https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/applayervpn] but wanted to confirm it was not the documentation being out of date. Thanks in advance!

Also when you activate the new vpn set up it doesn't allow you to google anything it just shows captcha doesn't allow you to do anything else. is it only me?

Since the change to iOS18, "Disable configuration" has been displayed. If the user disables this configuration, won't the security mechanism be disabled as well? This was not seen in iOS17 or below.

iOS 18 Per-App VPN: "Deactivate Configuration" Button Behavior

Q