Instruments "Failed to split user provided arguments: working directory doesn't exist"

Trying to examine performance issues in Xcode Instruments using the Animation Hitches instrument in Xcode 16.0 beta 6 (16A5230g).

When connected to my iPhone 15 Pro Max and I try to start a run with my app, it has an error “Failed to split user provided arguments: working directory doesn't exist” with timestamp “(Before Run Started)”. When running the app on an iOS simulator, the instrument runs fine—but I want to profile on a real device.

Instruments > Settings, Recording Location set to Default and that directory does exist.

Filed as FB15008170

Here is a log I've got from the console when facing the same issue:

Instruments: Cannot split user provided arguments. Error: working directory doesn't exist..
 String to split: '-NSDocumentRevisionsDebugMode YES'.
 Envs: '{
    "CA_ASSERT_MAIN_THREAD_TRANSACTIONS" = 0;
    "CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS" = 0;
    "CFLOG_FORCE_DISABLE_STDERR" = 1;
    "DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH" = "/Users/****/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/****//Build/Products/Release-iphoneos:/Users/****//Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/****/Build/Products/Release-iphoneos/PackageFrameworks";
    "DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH" = "/Users//****/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/****/Build/Products/Release-iphoneos";
    "DYLD_PRINT_STATISTICS" = 1;
    HIPreventRefEncoding = 1;
    "IDE_DISABLED_OS_ACTIVITY_DT_MODE" = 1;
    "LLVM_PROFILE_FILE" = "/dev/null";
    "METAL_ERROR_CHECK_EXTENDED_MODE" = 0;
    MallocNanoZone = 1;
    "OS_ACTIVITY_TOOLS_OVERSIZE" = 1;
    "OS_ACTIVITY_TOOLS_PRIVACY" = 1;
    "OS_LOG_DT_HOOK_MODE" = 0x07;
    "OS_LOG_DT_HOOK_PREFIX" = "OSLOG-DC3A4553-E33F-'

This seems to arise from instruments incorrectly parsing the -NSDocumentRevisionsDebugMode YES flag that XCode automatically adds.

Until they solve this bug - you can disable this flag in the app run schema - see https://stackoverflow.com/a/46103110/1614719

Instruments "Failed to split user provided arguments: working directory doesn't exist"

Q