PixTransfFunc of MacBook|M3,iPAD|M2 displays dark_gray tones "weirder" against cheapest PC

1) The situation:

• <all> 8-bit grayscale still radiology-images,
  • comparing to cheapest PC-displays:

= appear "literally disgusting" on MacBook|M3;

= appear "very bad" on iPAD|M2;

= appear "just bad" on available iMAC (though this situation is ~correctable).

Typical example (photo of 3 displays; the same 8-bit BMP or PNG by default view/preview on MacBook, iPAD, Windows): "https://ic.pics.livejournal.com/jbstphr/26474885/18157/18157_original.jpg"

** 2) The problem:**

• in cheapest PC-desktop/laptop a radiologist (or any human at all) distinguishes sRGB "gray 0..255 " (within 1..3 LeastSignificantBits)
  • in default MacBook ~ 4 LSB in dark gray-tones disappear (i.e "gray 0" appears absolutely same as "gray 16")
  • in default iPAD ~ 3 LSB in dark gray-ones disappear (i.e "gray 0" looks identical to "gray 8")

3) The question:

= what could be stated in user-manual of a radiology-gadget to guide an end-user ?...

= to adjust still gray-scale image_presentation of 8-bit BMP, PNG, GIF, TIFF, DCM (~sRGB-color-space) in:

3a) MacBook "AppleSilicon",

3b) iPAD "AppleSilicon";

• assuming standard preview_app, Osirix, ImageJ;
  • assuming that one places "3a,3b" near against cheapest PC-display on market;

= so that: "gray 0..16" and "gray 240..255" are distinguishable in "3a,3b" not much worse tnan in cheapest PC-display

4) Comment<s>

4a) Apple's PTC seemingly is weird S-like curve, to improve moving_imaging_impression sacrificing objective information of still-imaging presentation.

4b) Alternate color-profiles in MacBook's system_setting are 100% useless for the task.

4c) Adjust of white_point in MacBook,iPAD is <99%> useless for still radiology imaging (which needs adjustment of the black_point).

4d) Dedicated S-curve-like XLAT from PC-sRGB to APple's gray-scale isn't suitable, because of = the gadget is most world-wide-spread of it's case; = experience of existing Windows, Android-users can't be disturbed by few potential MAC-users; = double XLAT "sRGB => adhoc_color_space =>sRGB" (without overcomplicated & non_robust sentinels) causes pixellation (i.e. ~"gray 3.4.5" all become "gray 4")

PixTransfFunc of MacBook|M3,iPAD|M2 displays dark_gray tones "weirder" against cheapest PC

Q