Did WeatherKit minutely precipitation intentionally change units?

I've noticed in the past few weeks that the minutely precipitation values reported by WeatherKit are much bigger than they were before. Specifically I'm referring to WeatherKit.MinuteWeather.precipitationIntensity.

In my app, I convert to mm per hour:

let mmPerHour = $0.precipitationIntensity.converted(to: UnitSpeed.kilometersPerHour).value * 1e6

This has worked perfectly since WeatherKit came out, but now when I look at rainy locations and compare with the built-in Apple Weather app on my phone, it seems that the new values are about 3x what they should be. I have checked this in multiple locations across the USA.

My intuition says this is an inches/cm conversion issue (2.54x). Is this an intentional change in WeatherKit that requires me to update my app, or is this a bug on Apple's end??

Do you happen to have results from the REST API for the same locations? Could be interesting to compare them.

Any idea if the unit has changed? The documentation does say it’s kilometers per hour, but that’s not really meaningful since any Measurement value is self-describing. But could be interesting if the unit has changed but not the raw value, or vice versa.

Thank you for letting us know what you observed.

The units of measure for the MinuteWeather precipitation intensity have not changed from what is currently documented.

What data in the Weather app are you comparing WeatherKit.MinuteWeather.precipitationIntensity to?

Did WeatherKit minutely precipitation intentionally change units?

Q