How to Manage HLS Assets Downloaded with AVAssetDownloadTask to Appear in the iOS Settings App

I have an application that downloads content using AVAssetDownloadTask. In the iOS Settings app, these downloads are listed in the Storage section as a collection of downloaded movies, displaying the asset image, whether it's already watched, the file size, and an option to delete it.

Curious about how other apps handle this display, I noticed that Apple Music shows every downloaded artist, album, and song individually. This feature made me wonder: can I achieve something similar in my application? On the other hand, apps like Spotify and Amazon Music don’t show any downloaded files in the Settings app. Is it possible to implement that approach as well?

Here is print screen of the Apple Music Storage section in the Settings App:

I tried moving the download directory into sub folder using the FileManager, but all the results made the downloads stop showing in the setting app

Answered by Engineer in 801883022

Hello @GiovanniSB. You can display additional options for your app on the Settings app by providing a Settings bundle. Please see Implementing an iOS Settings Bundle for detailed information. I don't believe there is a mechanism to influence how HLS downloads are shown in the Settings app within the Offline playback and storage APIs, however, so please use Feedback Assistant to submit an enhancement request with any improvement suggestions you might have.

Accepted Answer

Hello @GiovanniSB. You can display additional options for your app on the Settings app by providing a Settings bundle. Please see Implementing an iOS Settings Bundle for detailed information. I don't believe there is a mechanism to influence how HLS downloads are shown in the Settings app within the Offline playback and storage APIs, however, so please use Feedback Assistant to submit an enhancement request with any improvement suggestions you might have.

How to Manage HLS Assets Downloaded with AVAssetDownloadTask to Appear in the iOS Settings App

Q