Material Reference from Reality Composer Pro

I have a model entity (from Reality Composer Pro) I want to change the material of the model entity inside swift. The material is also imported in reality composer pro. I am copying the USDZ file of the material in the same directory as the script.

This is the code I am using to reference the Material.

do {
    // Load the file data
    if let materialURL = Bundle.main.url(forResource: "BlackABSPlastic", withExtension: "usdz") {
        let materialData = try Data(contentsOf: materialURL)

// Check the first few bytes of the data to see if it matches expected types
        let headerBytes = materialData.prefix(4)
        let headerString = String(decoding: headerBytes, as: UTF8.self)

// Print out the header information for debugging
        print("File header: \(headerString)")

// Attempt to load the ShaderGraphMaterial
        let ScratchedMetallicPaint = try await ShaderGraphMaterial(
            named: "BlackABSPlastic",
        )
        print(ScratchedMetallicPaint)

} else {
        print("BlackABSPlastic.usdz file not found.")
    }
} catch {
    // Catch the error and print it
    print("BlackABSPlastic load failed: \(error)")

// Attempt to infer file type based on the error or file content
    if let error = error as? DecodingError {
        switch error {
        case .typeMismatch(let type, _):
            print("Type mismatch: Expected \(type)")
        case .dataCorrupted(let context):
            print("Data corrupted: \(context.debugDescription)")
        default:
            print("Decoding error: \(error)")
        }
    } else {
        print("Unexpected error: \(error)")
    }
}

I am receiving these errors:

File header: PK
TBB Global TLS count is not == 1, instead it is: 2
Unable to create stage from in-memory buffer.
BlackABSPlastic load failed: internalImportError
Unexpected error: internalImportError

am I doing anything wrong? I am able to access the materials of the model entity easily but this seems to something different. How can this be resolved?

Thanks.

Answered by Vision Pro Engineer in 801393022

Hello @snehdev

Your code looks mostly correct to me, however maybe something is not right about the named: parameter?

For example, if you create a new vision os app in Xcode from the default App template, a GridMaterial is created inside a bundle called realityKitContentBundle. That material can be loaded at runtime with the following Swift code:

let gridMaterial = try await ShaderGraphMaterial(named:"/Root/GridMaterial", from: "Materials/GridMaterial", in: realityKitContentBundle)

If you open GridMaterial.usda in Reality Composer Pro, you'll see that "/Root/GridMaterial" matches the structure shown in the hierarchy browser. "Materials/GridMaterials" matches the location of the file in the bundle, and omits the extension.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

Accepted Answer

Hello @snehdev

Your code looks mostly correct to me, however maybe something is not right about the named: parameter?

For example, if you create a new vision os app in Xcode from the default App template, a GridMaterial is created inside a bundle called realityKitContentBundle. That material can be loaded at runtime with the following Swift code:

let gridMaterial = try await ShaderGraphMaterial(named:"/Root/GridMaterial", from: "Materials/GridMaterial", in: realityKitContentBundle)

If you open GridMaterial.usda in Reality Composer Pro, you'll see that "/Root/GridMaterial" matches the structure shown in the hierarchy browser. "Materials/GridMaterials" matches the location of the file in the bundle, and omits the extension.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

Material Reference from Reality Composer Pro

Q