macOS Sequoia 15.1 Beta 2 fails to install as Virtual Machine using Apple's "RunningMacOSInAVirtualMachineOnAppleSilicon" sample project

Every time I attempt to install the macOS Sequoia 15.1 Beta 2 IPSW (UniversalMac_15.1_24B5024e_Restore.ipsw) it fails with the following error in installWithCompletionHandler:

Error Domain=com.apple.MobileDevice.MobileRestore Code=3194 "Declined to authorize this DFU file on this device for this user." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Declined to authorize this DFU file on this device for this user., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Bei der Installation ist ein unbekannter Fehler aufgetreten.}

I'm running macOS Sonoma 14.6.1, tried with both MobileDevice.pkg from Xcode 16 beta installed and with the official Device Support for macOS 15 beta installed. In either cases it fails with the same error.

The upgrade also fails within a VM for both macOS Sequoia 15.0 Beta 7 and macOS Sequoia 15.1 Beta 2. After pressing Update Now in System Settings › General › Software Update the VM restarts and shows a crash report which unfortunately doesn't contain any useful info (and can't be sent since Apple ID login is only supported with a macOS 15 host...)

Anyone know how to solve this?

To add some more details. When looking at the logs for com.apple.Virtualization.Installation I also see the following:

amai: tss_submit_job: STATUS=94&MESSAGE=This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Did you file a bug about this already? If so, please post your bug number. If not, I think that’s your best path forward here.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thank you, I will do that. It appears that 15.1 beta 1 and 15.1 beta 2 are no longer being signed by Apple, which is why the process fails. While that might make sense for the beta 1 it's really strange for beta 2.

It was already filed under FB14908914 by Guilherme Rambo.

macOS Sequoia 15.1 Beta 2 fails to install as Virtual Machine using Apple's "RunningMacOSInAVirtualMachineOnAppleSilicon" sample project

Q