Traffic logging with UI output using Content Filter Providers

Hey, I have been working on the app that implements both Content Filter Providers and DNS Proxy for custom network security app. However, I would like to display traffic logs from Content Filter. What's the best way to do that?

I know that it works with UserDefaults under shared container with App Group. But I am not sure that it's the best approach for storing data that is constantly changing. I also tried to use CoreData with:

FileManager.default.containerURL(forSecurityApplicationGroupIdentifier: appGroup)

But I receive error that "The file couldn’t be saved because you don’t have permission., ["reason": No permissions to create file; code = 1]" because my FilterDataProvider has access to CoreData model.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 802034022

FYI, it’s best if you reply as a reply, rather than in the comments. See Quinn’s Top Ten DevForums Tips for this and other titbits.

On iOS, content filters are very tightly sandboxed. It’s not possible for a filter data provider to escape data from its sandbox. The Content filter providers documentation explains this idea in more detail.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

What platform are you targeting?

Share and Enjoy

FYI, it’s best if you reply as a reply, rather than in the comments. See Quinn’s Top Ten DevForums Tips for this and other titbits.

On iOS, content filters are very tightly sandboxed. It’s not possible for a filter data provider to escape data from its sandbox. The Content filter providers documentation explains this idea in more detail.

Share and Enjoy

Thank you for your response!

Is there any other way to log socket flows then?

To what end?

As a debugging tool for your own purposes? Or in a product?

Share and Enjoy

I already have it as a debug tool. I use Console App to see system scope logs. However, I would like to add logs from Content Filter on UI in a product as traffic logs. Because my app implements both Content Filter and DNS Proxy, I wanted to show how it affects networking on the device

However, I would like to add logs from Content Filter on UI in a product as traffic logs.

I don’t think that’s viable given the security constraints on content filters. Indeed, if you found a way to do that, I’d consider it a security bug.

Share and Enjoy

Okay, I see now. Thank you for your response. Then no traffic logs it is

Traffic logging with UI output using Content Filter Providers

Q