can't get a signal event while quiting process with Activity Monitor

hi, all

I subscribe AUTH_SIGNAL event with ESF.

and test if it can prevent Activity Monitor from killing processes in the list below.

I can stop "Force Quit"(sigkill) to all five processes, but "Quit"(sigterm?) to four processes except "Typora".

I'm pretty sure that I didn't get a signal event when I used Activity Monitor to "Quit" typora.

how Activity Monitor "Quit" the "Typora"?

it looks like the Activity Monitor "Quit" the App Process with a different way(not through sending signal).

Answered by DTS Engineer in 801261022

I'm pretty sure that I didn't get a signal event when I used Activity Monitor to "Quit" typora. how Activity Monitor "Quit" the "Typora"?

it looks like the Activity Monitor "Quit" the App Process with a different way(not through sending signal).

I get the reason, it's through Apple Event.

Just to clear up the detail of this, it is sending an AppleEvent and that also isn't something you'd generally need/want to interfere with from the Endpoint Security layer. AppleEvents are a messaging format/system and are basically all "cooperative". That is, what "Typora" actually received was basically a "Quit request". It did not HAVE to quit and, in fact, the quit event is what triggers the "Are you sure you want to Quit?"/Unsaved work warning/etc. you see in apps. If you had some security sensitive app that should not be quit, then you'd implement that by simply... not having the app quit.

__
Kevin Elliott
DTS Engineer, CoreOS/Hardware

Accepted Answer

I'm pretty sure that I didn't get a signal event when I used Activity Monitor to "Quit" typora. how Activity Monitor "Quit" the "Typora"?

Just to clear up the detail of this, it is sending an AppleEvent and that also isn't something you'd generally need/want to interfere with from the Endpoint Security layer. AppleEvents are a messaging format/system and are basically all "cooperative". That is, what "Typora" actually received was basically a "Quit request". It did not HAVE to quit and, in fact, the quit event is what triggers the "Are you sure you want to Quit?"/Unsaved work warning/etc. you see in apps. If you had some security sensitive app that should not be quit, then you'd implement that by simply... not having the app quit.

__
Kevin Elliott
DTS Engineer, CoreOS/Hardware

can't get a signal event while quiting process with Activity Monitor

Q