Assistance Needed with Spatial Playback of 180° 3D Immersive Videos

We’re looking to extend the capabilities of our Apple Vision Pro app to properly support the spatial playback of 180° 3D immersive videos. Currently, when these videos are played back, they are projected onto the entire 360° sphere, which results in a distorted and less-than-optimal experience for the user.

Our goal is to ensure that the 180° video content is correctly displayed within the horizontal hemisphere only, rather than across the full sphere. We’re unsure of the best approach to achieve this and would greatly appreciate your guidance.

Would it be possible for your team to review our code and provide us with the necessary steps or adjustments needed to achieve the desired playback results?

Case-ID: 8729125

Thank you for your assistance.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 800404022

Hello @nicejobteam,

Thank you for posting this question on the forums!

My recommendation for you is to use a hemisphere mesh with texture coordinates that match the projection of your video content.

You can create such a mesh in a DCC, and then export it as a USD file to use in your app. You can use RealityKit to present that mesh, and you can use VideoMaterial to map the video onto the mesh.

Beyond this, I also recommend filing an enhancement request using Feedback Assistant to request that our video presentation APIs (AVPlayerViewController, Quick Look, VideoPlayerComponent) add support for the video format you are trying to present.

Best regards,

Greg

Hello @nicejobteam,

Thank you for posting this question on the forums!

My recommendation for you is to use a hemisphere mesh with texture coordinates that match the projection of your video content.

You can create such a mesh in a DCC, and then export it as a USD file to use in your app. You can use RealityKit to present that mesh, and you can use VideoMaterial to map the video onto the mesh.

Beyond this, I also recommend filing an enhancement request using Feedback Assistant to request that our video presentation APIs (AVPlayerViewController, Quick Look, VideoPlayerComponent) add support for the video format you are trying to present.

Best regards,

Greg

Hi Greg, Thank you for responding and providing support.

Good ideas, we'll try your recommendation and respond here to share an update.

Thanks again

Assistance Needed with Spatial Playback of 180° 3D Immersive Videos

Q