Localizing app name in VPN permission prompt

We have noticed that even if we have a localized CFBundleDisplayName, the phone would use the CFBundleName in the VPN permission dialog:

"<app name> Would Like To Add VPN Configurations"

The problem is even if we localize the CFBundleName in the InfoPlist.xcstrings, it still uses the base language in the permission prompt regardless of what language the phone is in.

Is it possible to localize the name that's shown in the VPN permission dialog?

I am wondering if the system indeed chooses the "base language" if your app, or actually the system language... Would you mind to share the following information:

• The language of your system (The first item in Settings > General > Language & Region > Preferred languages)
  • The localizations your app supports (The .lproj folders in your app bundle)

Best,
——
Ziqiao Chen
 Worldwide Developer Relations.

Our app supports English, German and Italian, with English as the base language.

Would you mind to look into the bundles of your app and extension, and provide the list of the .lproj folders? The system determines the languages your app or extension supports based on the existence of the .lproj folders, and so I'd like to confirm that the .lproj folder for Italian is there.

Assuming that your app and extension's bundles both contain the .lproj folder for Italian, meaning that your app and extension both support Italian, and that the system language is Italian, the prompt should be Italian.

Best,
——
Ziqiao Chen

Sorry for the confusion.

I can see the .lproj folders for en, de and it for both the app and extension. And the prompt itself is in Italian when the system language is Italian. The issue is, that the English name is being used for the Italian version of the prompt.

So going by my previous example, where the English name is VPNAppEN and the Italian name is VPNAppIT, I would expect to see the below message in Italian:

"VPNAppIT" desidera aggiungere delle configurazioni VPN

But instead I see:

"VPNAppEN" desidera aggiungere delle configurazioni VPN

How can we get the Italian name to show in the prompt?

OK, it seems to me that the issue is a system bug then. I suggest that you file a feedback report (http://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/) to see if the relevant engineering folks have something to say – If you do so, please share your report ID here for me to track.

Best,
——
Ziqiao Chen

Localizing app name in VPN permission prompt

Q