Camera Extension: Video Freezes When Previewing With QuickTime Player

I am developing a camera extension as described here Creating a camera extension as described in Creating a camera extension with Core Media I/O.

To ensure this wasn't some issue with my code, I reverted to the sample code added when you choose File > New > Target > Camera Extension in Xcode, in other words, I am using the example code provided by Apple.

I am able to install the camera extension and see it in QuickTime Player, where I choose it as the video input. In QuickTime Player I see the white line generated by the sample code moving up and down. For some period of time, it works.

But eventually, the video in QuickTime Player freezes. The thing that's really weird is if I add some NSLog() statements at the point in the code where it returns the newly created sample:

[self->_streamSource.stream sendSampleBuffer:sbuf discontinuity:CMIOExtensionStreamDiscontinuityFlagNone hostTimeInNanoseconds:(uint64_t)(CMTimeGetSeconds(timingInfo.presentationTimeStamp) * NSEC_PER_SEC)];

the samples are still being generated and sent to the stream. But the apparently QuickTime Player has decided to stop consuming them.

I thought maybe setting the discontinuity parameter to CMIOExtensionStreamDiscontinuityFlagTime or CMIOExtensionStreamDiscontinuityFlagSampleDropped if the delta time since the last sample was generated was off by a tiny bit, but this did not improve the situation.

Finally, could this have something to do with frequently installing and uninstalling my camera extension as part of the debugging and testing process?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

Camera Extension: Video Freezes When Previewing With QuickTime Player

Q