Support for automatic passkey upgrades in both native and web credential manager APIs

1. Referring to this explainer(https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/wiki/Explainer:-Conditional-Registration-Extension) for enabling passkey automatic upgrades. As per the explainer wiki, the credential manager's GET API needs a flag "conditionalCreate: true" before invoking the create API with "mediation: conditional". There is an assumption here that the password autofill needs to be completed as part of the GET API call and only then the passkey automatic upgrades are enabled via conditional mediation in the create API call. Are these assumptions correct?
  2. If the previously stated assumptions are correct would automatic passkey upgrades work in native iOS applications if I use the native credential manager APIs for GET and the web based credential manager API for CREATE? (The sign-in pages are opened in a web view for native application)
Answered by Systems Engineer in 799472022

Glad to see you're interested in adopting automatic upgrades! I answer both of these questions in detail in the WWDC session covering this feature. The short answer is yes to both, but it's worth checking out the full explanation for how it all works.

Accepted Answer

Glad to see you're interested in adopting automatic upgrades! I answer both of these questions in detail in the WWDC session covering this feature. The short answer is yes to both, but it's worth checking out the full explanation for how it all works.

Thank you, the video does provide some clarity.

I had a follow up question -

Does the autofill need to occur through the CredMan Get API? Or would a normal text autofill on fields tagged as "password" also count when a passkey upsell is requested?

Support for automatic passkey upgrades in both native and web credential manager APIs

Q