rvictl not working on Mac OS Sonoma Version 15.0 Beta (24A5309e) with version 16.0 beta 4 (16A5211f)

This was working just yesterday 8/7, this morning a new Sonoma redwood tree screen saver appears (is it related? uncertain..) and now launching rvictl no longer starts. Running on a 16 GB Mac mini with M1.

Yesterday I happily used Wireshark for debug development, today no longer. Moments ago I went through the process here to enable extensions (which was not required when I initially loaded Wireshark):

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-security-settings-startup-disk-a-mac-mchl768f7291/mac

Following the process and enabling both checkboxes for user and remote management, I rebooted. Still unable to launch rvictl. One of Quinn's postings included below steps:

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/Apple/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.rpmuxd.plist

sudo kextload /Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions/RemoteVirtualInterface.kext

In the process, a new driver was somehow auto-downloaded from Apple, and upon another requested reboot an "Allow" button appeared when looking at my Systems Settings->Privacy and Security. Reboot again, still no go.

Another Quinn posting said only the first checkbox in the security settings was required. So I rebooted again, unselected the remote management checkbox. Reboot, and still no go. But now invoking rvictl hangs.

There appear to be dozens of forum posts regarding rvictl, many laced with black magic voodoo suggestions to get it running. Eye of newt, toe of frog, wool of bat, and more.

Security it seems becomes the bane of development. At this point, I'm uncertain what to try - though long for yesterday's debug bliss.

Answered by kauai in 800360022

This now continues to work as expected. Please assure you have your device hardwire connected to your Mac before launching rvitctl or it will not start - nor give any message.

As followup, the resolution for my issue was to redownload and install Xcode 16.0 beta 4 (16A5211f). Upon reboot I was able to start rvictl once again. Will update this thread again tomorrow to confirm this is a persistent resolution.

Accepted Answer

This now continues to work as expected. Please assure you have your device hardwire connected to your Mac before launching rvitctl or it will not start - nor give any message.

I have run into the same issue. When I run the rvictl -s <ID...> command, it does not indicate that there was an error and just jumps to a new line. When I ran ifconfig -l, no new interface was created.

I have followed all of the aforementioned steps, and have reinstalled Xcode. Currently running Mac OS Sonoma Version 15.1 Beta (24B5055e) with Xcode version Version 16.0 (16A242d)

I am unsure of what to try next. I would like to capture traffic this way with Wireshark and am reluctant to explore other methods of packet capture.

rvictl not working on Mac OS Sonoma Version 15.0 Beta (24A5309e) with version 16.0 beta 4 (16A5211f)

Q