Does iPhone X support quad_sum operation?

I use quad_sum to optimize the lighting grid and shadow filter performance.

Based on Metal Feature Set Tables, Apple Family 4 should support quad group operations like quad_sum and quad_max. However, on the iPhone X and iPhone 8, during creating pipeline states, we have the following error output: Encountered unlowered function call to air.quad_sum.f32.

It works perfectly for iPhone 11 and higher versions. Should I improve my feature-checking logic from Apple Family 4 to Apple Family 5, or do I have other options to fix this unexpected behavior?

Answered by DTS Engineer in 798791022

Hello @Tianyu_Li,

quad_sum is a reduction operation. The row in the feature set tables that you reference is for permute operations.

Quad-scoped reduction operation are available in Apple7, please file an enhancement request using Feedback Assistant to request that this detail be clarified in the feature set tables.

Best regards,

Greg

Accepted Answer

Hello @Tianyu_Li,

quad_sum is a reduction operation. The row in the feature set tables that you reference is for permute operations.

Quad-scoped reduction operation are available in Apple7, please file an enhancement request using Feedback Assistant to request that this detail be clarified in the feature set tables.

Best regards,

Greg

Does iPhone X support quad_sum operation?

Q