What is the forum to use to discuss of system administration?

Hello,

I have many problems to manage the new structure of the volumes introduced with High Sierra and Big Sur around the use and configuration of the APFS.

Where could I find a technical documentation about this APFS organisation?

By technical documentation I don't mean a theoretical nice PowerPoint for the boss. I mean a real technical documentation which will permit me for example:

• to understand how is built and organized the complete set of different APFS volumes to install a new macOS,

• to build an installer on an USB key which will be usabel for a highly secured environment where an Internet connection is not allowed and not possible,

• to build a script to check that an actual APFS set of volumes doesn't present any major discrepency, a kind of meta-fsck, not the Disk Utility way, but the engineer way, essentially running through command line, and fully compatible with the traditionnal system, network and security administration.

Sorry, I am a very special case of developper. I only develop tools from shell scripts to make system, network and security administration. And to build more scripts withm them.

My answer to Select a Subtopic could have been:

system administration, technical documentation

I can only answer part of your question, namely this:

My answer to Select a Subtopic could have been: system administration …

DevForums exists to help folks develop against the APIs in Apple’s various platform SDKs. It’s not really the right place for this sort of question, which is why there’s no such topic area.

I generally recommend that you ask questions like this over in the Apple Support Community, run by Apple Support, and specifically in the Business and Education topic area, where you’re more likely to find folks with similar interests.

There are also third-party sites dedicated to Mac admin issues.

Having said that, there’s nothing wrong with asking here as well; it’s possible that other folks might chime in.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

What is the forum to use to discuss of system administration?

Q