How to get which app is currently being used by user

Hello! I'm designing an app that tracks users' screen time and shares it with each other. I've looked extensively into the ScreenTimeAPI and it seems as if Apple doesn't allow any way to share screen time data. Even with the user's permission.

I was wondering whether there is a way that my app (running in the background) would be able to get whether the user was currently using the notes app (or any other app).

I was looking into the AppTrackingTransparency framework to see if this functionality was at all possible, but came up short of finding an answer.

Is this possible? My guess is no but still wanted to check.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 798180022
I was wondering whether there is a way that my app (running in the background) would be able to get whether the user was currently using the notes app (or any other app).

No.

Well, on further thought…

Not that I’m aware of. If you find such a mechanism, please do file a bug about it because that’d be a serious privacy problem (-:

Note The above applies to iOS and its ‘children’. The rules are different on macOS.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

No.

Well, on further thought…

Not that I’m aware of. If you find such a mechanism, please do file a bug about it because that’d be a serious privacy problem (-:

Note The above applies to iOS and its ‘children’. The rules are different on macOS.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

How to get which app is currently being used by user

Q