Query System Extension status on macOS 15

Hi all,

It's nice that macOS 15 allows users to control System Extensions in "Login Items & Extensions", but I am encountering some issues in determining if a user has disabled or removed a System Extension.

I will share my findings (as of macOS 15.1 24B5009l) for two scenarios and would appreciate any suggestions for better approaches.

Scenario 1: During first-time activation, there is no clear API to determine if the user uninstalls the extension before activation.

The code creates activationRequestForExtension:queue: and receives notifications via a delegate implementing OSSystemExtensionRequestDelegate. However, if the user does not authorize the activation of the System Extension and uninstalls it, the code receives request:didFailWithError: with error code OSSystemExtensionErrorRequestSuperseded. This error code is ambiguous, so I plan to submit a propertiesRequestForExtension:queue: and check the properties for each instance to determine if the user uninstalled the extension.

Scenario 2: After activation, it is unclear when the user enables or disables the extension.

It is somewhat easier in the enabled -> disabled scenario. The XPC connection will be invalidated, allowing me to submit another propertiesRequestForExtension:queue: in the XPC invalidation handler and check the result.

However, I am having trouble with the disabled -> enabled scenario. There is no event or trigger indicating that the user has enabled the extension, so I have to submit propertiesRequestForExtension:queue: repeatedly at short intervals, which is not ideal.

I wonder if there are better approaches. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,

Shay

Answered by DTS Engineer in 798202022

Scenario 1

Your approach seems reasonable enough. I’m a big fan of -propertiesRequestForExtension:queue:, in that I don’t really care how the user got to a given point, I just care where they are.

Scenario 2

There is no event or trigger indicating that the user has enabled the extension

Indeed. I encourage you to file an enhancement request requesting such a notification. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Is your sysex one that starts immediately on activation. If so, you could have the sysex post a notification on start and have the app listen for that.

I’m talking about Darwin notification here, per the notify man page.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Scenario 1

Your approach seems reasonable enough. I’m a big fan of -propertiesRequestForExtension:queue:, in that I don’t really care how the user got to a given point, I just care where they are.

Scenario 2

There is no event or trigger indicating that the user has enabled the extension

Indeed. I encourage you to file an enhancement request requesting such a notification. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Is your sysex one that starts immediately on activation. If so, you could have the sysex post a notification on start and have the app listen for that.

I’m talking about Darwin notification here, per the notify man page.

Share and Enjoy

(..continued)

NEFilterManager must be enabled after the System Extension is activated and enabled, it might be a disaster if NEFilterManager is enabled without a runnable System Extension (all network connection lost, or even T2 watchdog panic).

A new status API/notification would help developer to implement this feature more easily.

Thanks for filing FB14606462.

Share and Enjoy

Query System Extension status on macOS 15

Q