filtering network data in multi thread

Hello, I need to implement filtering network data which is based on Network Extension (network content filter)

1. Let's say I have rule which leads to monitoring several data flows in parallel. Are there any way to handle each data flow in separate thread? (number of threads is equal to number of analyzed flow)

2. If one flow is paused by pauseVerdict, will the filter data provider recieve new data chunks in handleInboundDataFromFlow for other flows?

3. Are there any possibility to change data flow on a fly?

Thank you in advance.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 797091022
Are there any way to handle each data flow in separate thread?

Yes and no. Your filter provider is backed by a serial queue, so all the callbacks you get are serialised. However, if you want to farm that work off to another thread that’s fine. Your calls into the NE provider — for example, a call to the update(_:using:for:) method — don’t have to be made from that queue.

Still, I suspect you’d have to be doing some pretty CPU intensive work on the flow bytes for this to actually benefit you. As with all performance tuning stuff, it’s important to have your measurement guide your optimisation.

number of threads is equal to number of analyzed flow

Please don’t do that. There could be hundreds of flows running through your filter and you creating hundreds of threads is very wasteful. In most cases, when your aim is parallelism you want to scale the number of threads to the number of cores.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Accepted Answer
Are there any way to handle each data flow in separate thread?

Yes and no. Your filter provider is backed by a serial queue, so all the callbacks you get are serialised. However, if you want to farm that work off to another thread that’s fine. Your calls into the NE provider — for example, a call to the update(_:using:for:) method — don’t have to be made from that queue.

Still, I suspect you’d have to be doing some pretty CPU intensive work on the flow bytes for this to actually benefit you. As with all performance tuning stuff, it’s important to have your measurement guide your optimisation.

number of threads is equal to number of analyzed flow

Please don’t do that. There could be hundreds of flows running through your filter and you creating hundreds of threads is very wasteful. In most cases, when your aim is parallelism you want to scale the number of threads to the number of cores.

Share and Enjoy

Thank you a lot for your help.

Let's say FilterDataProvider makes a filtering decision for a three new flows. The flow #1 is paused (handleOutboundDataFromFlow returned pauseVerdict) until data is analyzed to make a desision. Will FilterDataProvider receive data of flows #2 and #3 in handleOutboundDataFromFlow while the flow #1 is paused?

Will FilterDataProvider receive data of flows #2 and #3 in handleOutboundDataFromFlow while the flow #1 is paused?

Yes [1].

Share and Enjoy

[1] *cross fingers* (-:

I’ve never actually tried this myself, but it’s pretty clear that this is how things are supposed to work.

filtering network data in multi thread

Q