WidgetKit Not running in iOS 14/15 (FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain)

I was adding WidgetExtension target for my old project.

The widget target is running fine in iOS 17, In my case, widget need to support iOS 14 and above, so I updated my widget code to old style, To removing WidgetConfigurationIntent and AppIntentTimelineProvider.

import WidgetKit
import SwiftUI

struct Provider: TimelineProvider {
    func placeholder(in context: Context) -> SimpleEntry {
        SimpleEntry()
    }
    func getSnapshot(in context: Context, completion: @escaping (SimpleEntry) -> Void) {
        completion(SimpleEntry())
    }
    func getTimeline(in context: Context, completion: @escaping (Timeline<SimpleEntry>) -> Void) {
        completion(Timeline(entries: [SimpleEntry()], policy: .never))
    }
    typealias Entry = SimpleEntry
}

struct SimpleEntry: TimelineEntry {
    let date: Date = Date()
}

struct NCWidgetEntryView : View {
    var entry: Provider.Entry

var body: some View {
        VStack {
            Text("Time:")
            Text(entry.date, style: .time)
        }
    }
}

struct NCWidget: Widget {
    let kind: String = "NCWidget"

var body: some WidgetConfiguration {
        StaticConfiguration(kind: kind, provider: Provider()) { entry in
            NCWidgetEntryView(entry: entry)
        }
        .configurationDisplayName("DisplayName")
        .description("description")
    }
}

In my case, the code was working fine in iOS 17 simulator, But if I try to run in iOS 15, it returns the below error

code-SendProcessControlEvent:toPid: encountered an error: Error Domain=com.apple.dt.deviceprocesscontrolservice Code=8 "Failed to show Widget 'com.name-pprd.NCWidgetExtension' error: Error Domain=FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain Code=5 "The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Unexpected error type., NSUnderlyingError=0x600003570b40 {Error Domain=BSServiceConnectionErrorDomain Code=3 "XPC error received on message reply handler" UserInfo={BSErrorCodeDescription=OperationFailed, NSLocalizedFailureReason=XPC error received on message reply handler}}, BSErrorCodeDescription=InvalidResponse}." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to show Widget 'com.name-pprd.NCWidgetExtension' error: Error Domain=FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain Code=5 "The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Unexpected error type., NSUnderlyingError=0x600003570b40 {Error Domain=BSServiceConnectionErrorDomain Code=3 "XPC error received on message reply handler" UserInfo={BSErrorCodeDescription=OperationFailed, NSLocalizedFailureReason=XPC error received on message reply handler}}, BSErrorCodeDescription=InvalidResponse}., NSUnderlyingError=0x600003570bd0 {Error Domain=FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain Code=5 "The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Unexpected error type., NSUnderlyingError=0x600003570b40 {Error Domain=BSServiceConnectionErrorDomain Code=3 "XPC error received on message reply handler" UserInfo={BSErrorCodeDescription=OperationFailed, NSLocalizedFailureReason=XPC error received on message reply handler}}, BSErrorCodeDescription=InvalidResponse}}}
Domain: DTXMessage
Code: 1
User Info: {
    DVTErrorCreationDateKey = "2024-07-20 17:30:58 +0000";
}
--

System Information

macOS Version 14.5 (Build 23F79)
Xcode 15.0.1 (22266) (Build 15A507)
Timestamp: 2024-07-20T23:00:58+05:30

In widget target Minimum target is 14.0

In App target Minimum target is 13.0

Didn't widgets get added in iOS 14? I think, in order for your app to communicate with widgets, your main app's minimum target has to be iOS 14.

WidgetKit is available in iOS 14 and above. You can use Conditional Compilation Blocks to ensure your code is only compiled on supported OS' and versions.

Rico
WWDR - DTS - Software Engineer

have the same issue. when compiling with xcode 15 widgets work on ios 15 (my minimum target). when compiling with xcode 16 b6, my widgets arent listed both on ios 15 devices and simulators.

Same here. When opening my project with a widget on Xcode 15 and building it to launch on my iPhone on iOS 15, it works.

Same project and target device using Xcode 16 RC, I got the error listed above and widget is not showing in the widget list.

I'm encountering the same issue when trying to launch on iOS 15. I receive the following error message:

SendProcessControlEvent:toPid: encountered an error: Error Domain=com.apple.dt.deviceprocesscontrolservice Code=8 "Failed to show Widget 'xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.widget' error: Error Domain=FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain Code=5 "The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Unexpected error type., NSUnderlyingError=0x10522ba50 {Error Domain=BSServiceConnectionErrorDomain Code=3 "XPC error received on message reply handler" UserInfo={BSErrorCodeDescription=OperationFailed, NSLocalizedFailureReason=XPC error received on message reply handler}}, BSErrorCodeDescription=InvalidResponse}." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to show Widget 'xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.widget' error: Error Domain=FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain Code=5 "The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Unexpected error type., NSUnderlyingError=0x10522ba50 {Error Domain=BSServiceConnectionErrorDomain Code=3 "XPC error received on message reply handler" UserInfo={BSErrorCodeDescription=OperationFailed, NSLocalizedFailureReason=XPC error received on message reply handler}}, BSErrorCodeDescription=InvalidResponse}., NSUnderlyingError=0x10522b230 {Error Domain=FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain Code=5 "The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Unexpected error type., NSUnderlyingError=0x10522ba50 {Error Domain=BSServiceConnectionErrorDomain Code=3 "XPC error received on message reply handler" UserInfo={BSErrorCodeDescription=OperationFailed, NSLocalizedFailureReason=XPC error received on message reply handler}}, BSErrorCodeDescription=InvalidResponse}}}
User Info: {
    DVTErrorCreationDateKey = "2024-09-19 07:26:35 +0000";
}
--
SendProcessControlEvent:toPid: encountered an error: Error Domain=com.apple.dt.deviceprocesscontrolservice Code=8 "Failed to show Widget 'xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.widget' error: Error Domain=FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain Code=5 "The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Unexpected error type., NSUnderlyingError=0x10522ba50 {Error Domain=BSServiceConnectionErrorDomain Code=3 "XPC error received on message reply handler" UserInfo={BSErrorCodeDescription=OperationFailed, NSLocalizedFailureReason=XPC error received on message reply handler}}, BSErrorCodeDescription=InvalidResponse}." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to show Widget 'xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.widget' error: Error Domain=FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain Code=5 "The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Unexpected error type., NSUnderlyingError=0x10522ba50 {Error Domain=BSServiceConnectionErrorDomain Code=3 "XPC error received on message reply handler" UserInfo={BSErrorCodeDescription=OperationFailed, NSLocalizedFailureReason=XPC error received on message reply handler}}, BSErrorCodeDescription=InvalidResponse}., NSUnderlyingError=0x10522b230 {Error Domain=FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain Code=5 "The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The request to open "com.apple.springboard" failed., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Unexpected error type., NSUnderlyingError=0x10522ba50 {Error Domain=BSServiceConnectionErrorDomain Code=3 "XPC error received on message reply handler" UserInfo={BSErrorCodeDescription=OperationFailed, NSLocalizedFailureReason=XPC error received on message reply handler}}, BSErrorCodeDescription=InvalidResponse}}}
--

System Information

macOS Version 14.5 (Build 23F79)
Xcode 16.0 (23050) (Build 16A242)
Timestamp: 2024-09-19T10:26:35+03:00

After that, the app crashes, and here's the crash report:

WidgetKit Not running in iOS 14/15 (FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain)

Q